Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: E39 GMH 3.0 SIDI: 91 vs 98 Octane

Considering stock they average around 13.0 - 13.5L/100 city cycle it's not the car to buy if economy is on your mind. Sorry but I feel it's a poorly thought out engine with a dreadful torque curve and therefore it should not be in something that weighs as much as a VE, they should have only offered the 3.6L which at least doesn't have peak torque up near redline.
    It's been shown in many tests the FORD 4.0L gets better fuel economy than the 3.0L SIDI. And if the answer is to use 98 Octane to get better performance (which I agree with) it's missed the point of it's original intention, 90% of these will be run on discount supermarket fuel, Holden would have known that.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The wifes car is on an average of 11.8L/100KM after close on 9,000 KM (she never resets the trip computer). This is with plain old 91RON and doing the average school drop offs and peak hour crawls with the odd long distance trip towing a trailer.

I agree with Ross though, the 3.0 is way underpowered in the big car. It's probably fine if you are only driving in 50KMH back streets, but it's just mot quite there. Sure, running E85 would help, as would 98 or E10, but if you get a fuel card that only allows 91, you are stuck. Tweaking does help, but this little motor really wants a couple of exhaust additions to really make it a good motor. That and the ability to achieve 100% TPS below 3000 RPM.......

Yep, I agree with you guys. Unfortunately you cant get peak power with these without high grade fuel :(

Wonder how many stroker kits will come out once these things get a bit older

hint.... Intake cam advance helps a lot

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    That and the ability to achieve 100% TPS below 3000 RPM.......
    That isn't what is annoying, if it catches itself in the wrong gear even at part throttle, slight incline you have a dead pedal until it kicks down two gears, no torque = busy transmission. The WOT performance is not my biggest complaint, it's the part throttle that is bad too.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    That isn't what is annoying, if it catches itself in the wrong gear even at part throttle, slight incline you have a dead pedal until it kicks down two gears, no torque = busy transmission. The WOT performance is not my biggest complaint, it's the part throttle that is bad too.
    Have you cleaned the shift points up Ross? I did that on an Impala, reduced shift times a little, bumped the pressures, and it made a HUGE difference. The transmission would actually be in the right gear when you wanted it to be, think it had the 3.6 in it though.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I moved on once I got the Cruze

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I moved on once I got the Cruze
    Lol! Im hoping a Sonic is in my near future, need a little DD because my TBSS is killing me driving to work right now.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The wifes car is on an average of 11.8L/100KM after close on 9,000 KM (she never resets the trip computer). This is with plain old 91RON and doing the average school drop offs and peak hour crawls with the odd long distance trip towing a trailer.

I agree with Ross though, the 3.0 is way underpowered in the big car. It's probably fine if you are only driving in 50KMH back streets, but it's just mot quite there. Sure, running E85 would help, as would 98 or E10, but if you get a fuel card that only allows 91, you are stuck. Tweaking does help, but this little motor really wants a couple of exhaust additions to really make it a good motor. That and the ability to achieve 100% TPS below 3000 RPM.......
    ^ i have SIDI 3L with custom xforce cat back exhaust plus the below custom SIDI extractors, on my old tune on BP98 it was shooting Quad flames on the race track & drags havnt put my EFI live base files from oz track on yet might try soon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIDIextractors2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	15831 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIDIextractors1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	15832

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIDIextractors.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	15833

GM tech 2 tool is indicating im only getting the standard 60% throttle on that tune running slightly too rich still at the high RPM range hope to soon get it fully dyno tuned with EFI live with the RPM vs TP table for a track tune maybe E85 flex fuel

hint.... Intake cam advance helps a lot
    Would like to know more about this please. I thought it would cause overlap reducing overall power.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast