Thread: ECM Pins for DSP, trouble with wire...

Default ECM Pins for DSP, trouble with wire...

Anyone have any tricks for getting a pin out of the ECM harness? It appears after enough tugging and general stress on the wire, the wire has separated from the pin... and i don't have a de-pinning tool... any suggestions?

Lifetime Member

Which ECM?

Ira

Lbz ecm... sorry forgot to specify

Lifetime Member

I use a couple of sewing needles, one to push out the pin and one to gently push back the tab. If you're having to pull more the very gently, something is wrong..

Pull the purple pin retainer, put the eye of a medium needle in the tiny hole next to the pin, push the pin in to release the lock, very gently use the needle to press the retaining tab and pull on the wire. if it doesn't just slide out with almost no resistance, try again. If you broke off the wire, use a second long needle to push it out.

The package of needles I used to test this with says size John James JJ19826 Size 26 Tapestry. The long ones I'd use to push it out say a lot of stuff in Chinese but show a size of 90x1.5mm

Ira

Lifetime Member

Hello Ira,

Fantastic ingenuity !!! Apparently I wasted my money on all the Kent-Moore "J" tools I have - LOL.

Regards,
    Taz

Thank you Ira, I will let you know my results when I have time to get around to it! Thanks again!!!

Lifetime Member

Well, I tried to order 10 sets of the proper tools and when I heard the price, I figured it was worth a bit of playing to come up with a solution. Those are about the easiest pins to insert and extract I've ever seen.

All automotive toolboxes should have a selection of sewing needles and crochet hooks. Needles for removing pins from connectors and back-probing connectors, crochet hooks because sometimes they are the best tool for hooking something you just can't quite reach.

Ira

Lifetime Member

It may depend on the pin lock itself but have heard of using a brass tube just slightly bigger than the pin and pus it in to cause the locks to release. Usually can find items like that at hobby stores. Also always disconnect batteries when touching anything electrical.

Brian
    2007.5 GMT-900 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC/LB LTZ 4x4 Summit White.
    With the LMM Duramax 365hp/660tq, MW7 Allison 1000 6-speed
    EFILive LMM DSP5 Settings, 500HP, 450HP, 400HP,Tow with Turbine Brake, and Stock HP.

UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN - Remember if you want to play you got to pay.

Lifetime Member

Brass tube works for some, but not for LMM/LBZ.

Ira

Lifetime Member

Thats good to know Ira. Thanks.

Brian
    2007.5 GMT-900 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC/LB LTZ 4x4 Summit White.
    With the LMM Duramax 365hp/660tq, MW7 Allison 1000 6-speed
    EFILive LMM DSP5 Settings, 500HP, 450HP, 400HP,Tow with Turbine Brake, and Stock HP.

UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN - Remember if you want to play you got to pay.