Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handling more than stock boost ?

Default Handling more than stock boost ?

How are people handling boost levels higher than stock ?

Lets say that I install a turbocharger system that generates 60 PSI of boost. And lets say that I want to use a fuel limiter that works right up to full boost, ie 60 PSI. How would you set this up, sensor wise and EFI Live wise ?

I'm guessing that you would replace the stock sensor with something that went to 60 PSI.

I'm guessing that you would change the mapping of the sensor in EFI Live so that voltage output profile of the sensor matches the pressure its sensing.

I'm guessing that the boost dependent tables would get an axis change from 0 to stock boost to 0 to 60 PSI, 400 KPA or whatever it is.

Is this right ? I never hear of anyone doing this. So how do people deal with boost levels higher than stock ?

Thanks !

If you don't want the ECM to cut fuel due to boost, the simplest way I know of is to rescale your boost sensor so that it will only read so high. This way when it goes higher, the ECM doesn't really knoiw it due to the boost sensor scale change.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

At what pressure does the ECM kick out an over boost signal on a 6.7 ? And can this be changed in EFI Live or does EFILive just turn off the CEL for all overboost ?

Lets say that the ECM is registering an overboost error for 30 PSI. Lets say the stock sensor is good to 40 PSI. You are saying that one would rescale the sensor so that it reads 30 PSI when the boost is really 40 PSI ? If so, I get that. I understand that its a way around letting the ECM defuel the engine.

But lets say I want to make 60 PSI and I want to use the boost defuelling table to control smoke and EGTs. I want different fuel delivery at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 PSI of boost. What is the best way to set that up ?

Thanks

I'd like to know this too, my compounds will put out about 70psi

Cummins are 3-bar sensors. To read higher you'd need a higher bar sensor and rescale it.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Ok so I find a 5bar sensor, my 6.7L EFI doesn't have the Axis define table to re-calibrate the map sensor like the 5.9's does. And the 6.7 boost parameter in the EFI limit only goes to 58psi, where the 5.9 goes up to 100psi? Will this be a fix in the new updates or how will this work with my turbo system as it sits now?
    2007.5 Dodge 3500 - some power mods with a 48re behind it

I'd like to know this too. I'm going to run twins on my 6.7 and I'll need to rescale as well. 4NEATR, where did you get your sensor from ?

I haven't picked one up yet as EFI can't rescale the sensor for the 6.7 yet anyway. I am still learning about EFI, so still running my XRT in the truck, just doing some logging and seeing what is going on. There must be some way to do it with EFI as the H&S program is working fine. I logged a run and my gauge says that I peaked out at 61psi, but the EFI log says the max MAP sensor reading was 39.9 psi, and no de-fueling what so ever.

Lifetime Member

Does the log say the max MAP was 39.9, or does the dash say the max MAP was 39.9? You might need to rescale the dash to accurately display higher-than-stock values.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The log shows that the MAP max reading was 255Kpa, so actually about 36.984psi. I was keeping an eye on the ISSPRO boost gauge on that run, and it maxed out just over 60psi. I don't look at the dashboard when i'm doing a run, but I just pulled up the log and the dash maxes out at 110Kpa, lol, so it is pinned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast