Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up for first log for calc vet tune.

Default Setting up for first log for calc vet tune.

Hi I am setting up for my first log for the Calc Vet tune, but I have a question in regards to my injector flow set up.

I have a stock LS1 out of a VZ Calais in my landcrusier. The information I got from the Marks4wd adaptor site suggested that I should run my fuel rail pressure @ 65psi. The holden work shop manual says that the pressure as standard is 59psi. Should I lower my pressure down to 59psi and keep the stock fuel injector flow rate setting or keep it at 65psi and change the fuel injector flow rate setting using the excel sheet that "RedHardSupra" created/found?

Also just to clarify, I do not have to disable my MAF for Calc Vet tuning, do I? Is that only if I was to use the Auto VE method?

Below is my current tune. The only real changes I have made is for the trani. I found that the stock tune was causing a too much flaring between shifts for my liking. I came across a tune from the VZ 2005 Adventura which was an all wheel drive Commodore. I noticed straight away the pressures were higher that my stock tune, so I copy and pasted all of the trani data into my stock tune. The difference in driving was evident right from the start. Now it shifts a lot smoother and does not drop down a gear as easily.

Please note that I have not made any of the adjustments that Shawn the Weatherman sugested in his CALC VET Summary Notes under "Calc Vet tuning tips" to the tune below. I have another copy of this tune that I have made those adjustments to that I will drop in before I start my logging.

Please feel free to scrutinize and provide feedback on any issues/concerns you may have. I am always greatfull for the help!

Cheers,

Trans mod from Adventura 13-02-2012.tun
    Going places no one else dares to Go!
    60 Series Landcruiser, GenIII LS1 5.7, 4L60E Trans, 4" Stainless Snorkel
    4" Lift, 35 x 12.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains

Well,
    I ended up finding the information I needed about the fuel rail pressure in some earlier threads. I will be dropping my fuel rail pressure down to 58psi. This seems to be the common consensus from the many threads I read.

My logging for my Calc Vet tuning has been put on hold until I can clear a blockage in the pickup for my fuel tank. Be bugged if I know what would be blocking the pick up??? The tank was spotlessly cleaned inside before I fitted the tank. Only time will tell.

I am guessing by the lack of response to my thread that the question I asked about disabling the MAF for the Calc Vet logging was a dumb one. I am going to go with not disabling the MAF until I am otherwise corrected.

Cheers,

Hi Laychut,

The IFR tables are usually for rail pressure set to 58 psi.

Let me know when you find the cause of the blockage.

During Calc.VET the MAF is enabled, and the VE is disabled (set the dynamic airflow threshold to 400 rpm, see table B0120).

Calc.VET:
    - MAF is corrected from wideband BEN (which is the ratio of commanded fueling to measured fueling);
    - VE is calculated from newly corrected MAF.

i.e. the entity being corrected must be enabled, the entity being calculated can be disabled.

I somehow missed this thread, sorry about that, when this happens just bump the thread with any new info (like you did).

Hi, I got my blockage issue all sort and I have fitted my LC1 O2 sensor. I have hooked up my LC1 in serial thanks to a cable from TAQuickness.

I have some more question before I start logging.

When logging should I be driving around on the straight and level or should I also go up a few hills as well to load up the engine?

Also to get the higher RPMs is it ok to keep it in a low gear say first or second? Is this going to give me the correct data?

Cheers,
    Laychut

To get "good" data you have to keep as steady as possible in all ranges (which is next to impossible)...

you want operate the throttle in a progressive smooth manner and keep it steady for as long as you can;

you want some light load cruising, some medium load, some hard load...

to achieve some of those hills help, as does dragging the brakes for a few seconds;

it is possible to get a log containing good data that covers your operating range in 30 minutes of selected driving;

but above all else, keep safe and legal.

( this is why using a dyno to load the engine makes tuning easier )

The lower gears are going to allow the engine to blast past each cell much quicker (i.e. fewer cell hit counts on cells below WOT).

Then once you have a log, apply the transient filter (which filters out data where throttle and airmass were changing too quickly), and hide cells with low counts (try 10 as the trheshold).

Post up some pics of the BEN maps.

Hi,
    I have been doing some test logs and I have a question. I noticed that the VE table has more numbers behind the decimal point i.e. 1.9883 where my map in the scan tool only has 1 digit i.e. 1.9.

Is there a way to change this to look the same as the VE table?

Does this effect the accuracy of the the data?

Cheers,
    Laychut

tunetool: on the toolbar there is a button labelled +.00, click this a few times to increase the decimal precision.
    scantool: go into map properties, and on the Data tab there is a precision field, enter say 4.
    Last edited by joecar; April 19th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

Default First Calc Vet Tune Log

Hi,
    Attached is my first Calc Vet log. I would appreciate it if some one could have a look at it and ensure I did it correctly before I go changing my tune.

I have also attached the tune I had loaded at the time of the log. I had modified this with the adjustments that Shawn the Weatherman sugested in his CALC VET Summary Notes under "Calc Vet tuning tips".

Current.tun, Calc Vet log 20-04-2012.efi

Cheers,
    Laychut

It looks like the Calc.VET will lower the low portion of the MAF and raise the middle of the VE (you will have to fill in the gaps by hand (i.e. the cells that are unchanged, no blue dogears)).

I'm surprised it's modifying your VE so much... what mods do you have...?

When you log, can you operate the throttle more progressive/steady (if possible), this will cause the transient filter to retain more data.

Getting some knock (KR shows sawtooth pattern, so it probably is real detonation knock).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VET.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	12967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAF.png 
Views:	206 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	12968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knock.png 
Views:	395 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	12969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fill in gaps.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	12970  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast