Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Tune to Pass Smog Testing in Colorado

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Shawn always said what good people there were on this forum. He truly enjoyed helping people because he learned so much from other people on the forum. I struggle to know whether weather or tuning was his strongest passion in recent years. He'd wanted to be a meteorologist since he was 11 - I wonder what would have happened had there been EFILive at that time.

Stealth, thank you so much for your kind words. Means the world to me. After the wonderful response I received from my original question/post, I started looking back through some of Shawn's posts. He knew more than I ever knew he knew. (How many times can you use the word "knew" in a sentence? LOL) I am so thrilled that he was able to help so many people and I can only hope that his tutorials and posts will continue to help many more in the future.

And, Joe - you are the best! Thank you for all your guidance!

I love having Shawn's car as a constant reminder of him and his life. I even think I am getting pretty good at driving it - after all, it's the car I learned to drive a manual on. If you're going to learn, you might as well learn big, right?

Thank you all so much. And, Mike, I'll be giving you a call sometime today. Your generosity continues to astound me in the best way possible.

Kristen
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Smile

Good luck Shawn,

It's going to be a big task with that camshaft.

Is your PCV system stock? If so this would be affecting readings and if catch-can set-ups are within the law, it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by cme265 View Post
    yes i am serious, shawn helped many people on this forum and asked for nothing in return i feel it is the least i could do, i have 19 years GM dealer experience and 7 years with EFIlive and i know exactly what the IM240 test is looking for, shop phone 303 359 5029, my cell phone 303 475 2337
    Now this is a sign of an awesome forum. Well done to Mike for offering his time and equipment to help a fellow member

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
    Now this is a sign of an awesome forum. Well done to Mike for offering his time and equipment to help a fellow member
    Well said, Dieselman!
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
    just trying to do my part to help some one who has been through a lot lately, i've been there and know the feeling. and yes this is an awesome forum from a company with an awesome product.
    2002 SS, PROCHARGER AND SOME OTHER GOODIES

just an update, kristen took the car in today for another test, the HC limit is 1.2 grams per mile, it failed with 1.28, time for round 2

Quote Originally Posted by cme265 View Post
    just an update, kristen took the car in today for another test, the HC limit is 1.2 grams per mile, it failed with 1.28, time for round 2
    That's pretty close.

yes it is, and we're almost there, i think it will pass, not to big of a cam, i think the biggest problem is how long it sits before they actually test it so the converters cool off when they run it

Lifetime Member

I agree with your comment on converter temperature. Is a cold / cool (ECT) start mandatory in your area ? It isn't where I live. I have much better test results when I bring a vehicle straight in from the highway, and on to the rollers with the engine at operating temperature and the converters hot. If the test centre is running behind, the vehicle is left idling in the parking lot (to keep temps up) until its my turn.

Regards,
    Taz

no, cold/cool restart is not required, all to often the test facility is busy and that's what happens, pull up, shut the car off and wait for 30 minutes, then the converters cool off, especially with long tubes they take a long time to re-heat, plus a few other tune modifications to help with emission output.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast