Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup your PCM??? Maybe!

Default Backup your PCM??? Maybe!

I got the RED tool bar and it said logging and at around 9000 frames it was still logging, so I disconnected, saved and unhooked from car. I saved it to a flopy for now. The flopy has the file and it looks like the down load on my laptop.

What do I look for to be sure I have a good back up? It did show the same voltage as my DIC (Corvette volt meter) and the MAP read out showed signs of life.
    How many frames did I need or when do you stop logging? Does a big hand come out and?????
    After my cam install and I stumble through a Tune and screw it up, How do I reprogram with the stock program that I just saved?
    I've read what the PCM does under low battery conditions, so can I log with a battery charger hooked up, engine off. What voltage level starts to give log errors? I relize that the next time I'm logging, the engine will be running and I'll be driving a profile, I hope.

I couldn't find this in the index and so please, if it's in there, what's it under.
    Who ever comes to my rescure, thank you for you time and help.

Eager to Learn and Thanks, Curt

Sounds like you used the Scan Tool to log data from the PCM.

If you want to backup your PCM flash, you have to use the Tune Tool to read the flash (which only takes a couple of minutes) and save it to a file (and write it to a CD or some other safe place).

The Tune Tool also lets you open a saved .tun file to write back into the PCM flash.

The help button on the Tune Tool toolbar opens a PDF document; click on the bookmarks tab for a table of contents.

Joecar, you're right I used the scan tool, which seemed to make sense since I was scanning and not tuning. I'll redo it with the tune.

Thanks for your help, Curt

Well, I finally got Tune to read my PCM. I was beginning to think that my PCM was #65,535 out of all the possible combinations. After over an hour of attempts, I realized the "Preparing PCM for reading flash..." light didn't mean anything. I did a series of stops and starts and I finally saw the "PCM not ready, waiting light" and then it started to log and gave a time to go and the bar started to move.
    As the book says, I have several DTCs, low voltage and Reduced engine Power. I went to Scan and under Info deleted the DTCs but after they're all cleared and I disconnect and turn the key off, they come back. I've cleared them several times and the DIC (MIL) still gives the same two (above) codes.
    Would someone please give me a clue on what I'm missing here.
    I've swallowed my pride and expanded on the above so that my experience will maybe help others new to this operation.

Thanks, Curt

Curt,

When the DTC's come on, use the scan tool to find out what they mean
    (you then have to fix the source of the problem [may possibly require a manual with DTC diagnostic procedures], and then you clear the DTC's using the scan tool (or doing several "drive cycles").

And then they will not come back if the problem has been properly fixed.

The PCM sets the DTC's when it detects probelms.
    The DTC's function is to let you know that something is wrong (and more importantly, specifically which subsystem has the problem).

All of the steps may be or may not be non-intuitive to everyone, but we all do encourage people to ask questions (otherwise you'll never know the answer. And others may also learn from the answers).

More info...

If you want general explanations of how EFI system conceptually work, goto places such as www.carcraft.com and search for EFI and LS1;

If you want specific details on how the LS1 PCM works, goto http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf

Cheers,
    Joe

Joe thanks for the reply, the LOW VOLTAGE and LOW FUEL are false readings, the REDUCED ENGINE POWER is an unknown. I thought these were false codes because I just used EFI Tune to copy the PCM stock program. I only get the codes with the key in the off position. I'll follow up on your links and research the codes.

Thanks, Curt

Default DTC won't stay deleted.

These codes were all communication history codes. I disconnected the battery for a manifold upgrade and after I finished the job and restarted the engine, the codes were gone. System now normal.
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Default Re: DTC won't stay deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by curtbriggs
    These codes were all communication history codes. I disconnected the battery for a manifold upgrade and after I finished the job and restarted the engine, the codes were gone. System now normal.
    Whenever you read/write the PCM flash data using the Tuning Tool, EFILive disables communications on the bus. All modules that need to communicate with the PCM will set some sort of comms code. Once comms is restored they should automatically clear the codes. If they do not, then EFILive Scan Tool can be used to clear the codes.
    EFILive can clear codes from all modules listed in the [OBDII (F7)] tab page on the [MODs] sub page.

Note:
    To clear codes from all listed modules, use the Clear Trouble Codes icon with the car icon (Shift+F11)
    To clear codes from only the PCM, use the Clear Trouble Codes icon without the car icon (Shift+F10)

Regards
    Paul

Default Re: DTC won't stay deleted.

EFILive can clear codes from all modules listed in the [OBDII (F7)] tab page on the [MODs] sub page.

Note:
    To clear codes from all listed modules, use the Clear Trouble Codes icon with the car icon (Shift+F11)
    To clear codes from only the PCM, use the Clear Trouble Codes icon without the car icon (Shift+F10)

FYI, I did the procedure above precisely and the codes returned after I disconnected, reconnect and codes returned. I did it many times, I must have missed something. It's so simple, I don't see how it could be screwed up.
    Key removed, the reduced power and low voltage blinked continuously on the IPC. Disconnecting/reconnecting the battery cleared the codes.

Thanks, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

There may be one or more modules on your vehicle that are not listed in the [OBDII (F7)] tab page [MODs] subpage. If that is the case and if one of those modules has a DTC set then EFILive will not clear it.

EFILive attempts to autodetect all modules on the class 2 bus. However some modules do not respond to EFILive's queries, so EFILive assumes those modules do not exist.

There is an option in the Properties window on the [Advanced] tab page called: "Check/Clear DTCs for all modules.", make sure that is checked.

There is another option in the Properties window on the [Options] tab page in the [General] group, called "Active module detection.". If you check that check box then EFILive may be able to detect otherwise undetectable modules.

WARNING: with Active module detection." checked, EFILive attempts to locate modules by "resetting" them instead of just passively pinging them. This can cause undesired results, such as radio station presets and HVAC settings being cleared. Which is why that option is not checked on by default.

Regards
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast