Thread: TIS files and v2 tool

Default TIS files and v2 tool

Hey guys, is it true that having access to TIS and files to make a given ECM go back to a completely stock configuration can only be done though a tech2? If a person has the EFI LIVE V2 software can they use the TIS through GM and program an ECM to a brand new state? In other words removing all of the previous vehicle info, tune info, calibration info, vin info etc? Does EFI live do that? or just Tech 2?

Thanks for any info
    RW
    Just one guy tryin' to make a difference

Tech II only with TIS

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    Tech II only with TIS
    thanks for the reply, is there any way with efi live to have a file from a stock ecm and reflash all of the info into the replacement ecm including OS, calibration, BCC as well as definition files?

thanks again
    RW

Only if the replacement ECM already has everything on it (i.e. a used ECM, i.e. already been programmed at least once by GM/TIS).

well, see heres the deal, I took a 2002 gmc truck ecm from a salvage yard from a v8 truck 5.3 and used a 2002 corvette with 4l60 tune on it. I did the full reflash and everything has been working good for about 5 months. So now the person who has the ecm in the running car wants to make some changes, He is trying to use HPT software (JUNK), but anyway because the ecm has some trace of the old information in it he can not get into the ecm. He went and had the TIS file updated to a 2002 vette and he is off and running. I know he needs the obvious (efilive) but I just wonder if there is something else that I missed or what is actually happening within the process that keeps that info in there. Any thoughts

RW

HPT PCM licensing is based on the vehicle VIN, whereas EFLive's licensing is based on the PCM serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    HPT PCM licensing is based on the vehicle VIN, whereas EFLive's licensing is based on the PCM serial number.
    Exactly. HPT does not like when you change VINS, years, or even some segment swaps with EFI Live. If your not careful you can lock out HPT without actually locking the PCM. But the same goes for EFI, certain things can lock out EFI when done with HPT.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    Exactly. HPT does not like when you change VINS, years, or even some segment swaps with EFI Live. If your not careful you can lock out HPT without actually locking the PCM. But the same goes for EFI, certain things can lock out EFI when done with HPT.
    Thanks again, I know these are basic questions but thank you for the replies. Is there any real reason that a person would need to do the TIS on any ecm that has been in service running a vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by v8vegaman View Post
    Is there any real reason that a person would need to do the TIS on any ecm that has been in service running a vehicle?
    You would do this to obtain a GM updated calibration or OS that wasn't available in the EFILive binary file repository www.tunefiledepot.com (formerly www.holdencrazy.com).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You would do this to obtain a GM updated calibration or OS that wasn't available in the EFILive binary file repository www.tunefiledepot.com (formerly www.holdencrazy.com).
    Sounds right, I think we are on the same page. Thank you for the answers

RW