Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 Serial number

Default E38 Serial number

I used TIS and a Tech II to rest a 2008 controller to a stock calibration, worked fine. Uploaded the tune to EFI Live, modded it and tried to download it. Apparently the Tech II set the PCM serial # to all 0's and EFI Live won't license.

I tried the full flash as prompted to have a serial # assigned with no success.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Sorry, but TechII didn't reset anything, TechII flashed in the wrong year model OS, it is not a recoverable situation.
    The document below won't help you now but may help explain why it happened.
    http://download.efilive.com/Document...ty%20Guide.pdf

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Sorry, but TechII didn't reset anything, TechII flashed in the wrong year model OS, it is not a recoverable situation.
    The document below won't help you now but may help explain why it happened.
    http://download.efilive.com/Document...ty%20Guide.pdf

Cheers,
    Ross
    I have read that document. I am confused as to the service number of the ECM vs. OS. The ECM I programmed was for an 08'-09'. While the document shows what OS's are compatible with each other I can not determine what service # is compatible with what OS? Is there a chart for this?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI View Post
    ... The ECM I programmed was for an 08'-09' ...
    There is no such thing as a 2008-2009 E38 ECM. Each model year E38 has its own unique Service Number. Most of the 2009 model year vehicles received a new throttle body - making the calibration in the "write only" portion of the E38 ECM (the portion that only a Tech 2 can program) different from the 2008 variants.

The model year rule follows the controller (ECM) model year (Service Number), and not necessarily the vehicle model year. As an example of a vehicle model year exception, the Pontiac G8 GT (L76 engine) used the same OS and E38 ECM in both 2008 & 2009 - as the Pontiac line was being discontinued. However the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP (LS3 engine) used a different OS and a 2009 E38 ECM.

... While the document shows what OS's are compatible with each other I can not determine what service # is compatible with what OS? Is there a chart for this? ...
    That chart has the E38 Service Numbers at the top, and then lists OS by year in columns.

2006 = 12603892 (used briefly in 2006 Corvettes - superseded by 12597121)
    2007 = 12597121
    2008 = 12612384
    2009 = 12625455
    2010 = 12633238

Regards,
    Taz

Default Same problem????

I am having the same problem. I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 in the shop right now. The car was tuned by another shop that has closed it's doors. The tune was locked and the customer wanted some more mods and tuning done. Just yesterday we took the car to the dealer to have a new E38 ECM (12625455) installed and flashed to stock. This morning I was able to pull the tune out but when i modified the tune and try to license and flash it, it says the vin is 0's. I also tried a full flash, but still nothing. The Vin that EFI Live pulled from the ECM is 6G2EC57Y79L161468, and the OS is 12624402, according to the chart posted above that would mean this is an '08 OS. Is that why this is not working for me?? Did the dealer flash the wrong OS???

Here is the stock tune file
    Attached Files Attached Files

SPi,

If the VIN is zeros, can you try writing the correct VIN using the scantool...?

If the serial number is zeros, I pm'd Tech Support.

Joecar, thanks for the response. The VIN is correct and matches the car, it is the wrong OS though. I believe that is why EFI Live is thinking that the VIN is zeros, because the two do not match??? I have called the dealer, there are a lot of help(sarcasm). They say I am unable to tune the car because it has a supercharger and headers. Wow.

Attachment 12765

Thanks Taz this helps, a comprehensive list of ecm service #'s vs OS's would be great.

I purchased a new ecm from our supplier, it is the same service number as the other one. The OS I flashed was 12617631, cal. 12612384. The dealer informed me this same ecm is listed on some 09'(model year) Silverado's as well. I flashed itfor an 08'.

Flashed new ecm with TIS, then EFI Live and all went well, good serial # and VIN.

I believe this ecm was flashed by HPT before I got it, could this be an issue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPi View Post
    I am having the same problem. I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 in the shop right now. Did the dealer flash the wrong OS???
    Yes they did, it's the exact same problem the other poster has run in to. I don't think 12625455 is the right E38 version for that model, I think it should be using a 12612384 ECM based on what OS the car should be running. But, have fun telling the dealer it's their fault.
    Nice list BTW Taz, meanwhile, GM should fire the software people who created this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI View Post
    I purchased a new ecm from our supplier, it is the same service number as the other one. The OS I flashed was 12617631, cal. 12612384. The dealer informed me this same ecm is listed on some 09'(model year) Silverado's as well. I flashed itfor an 08'.
    When you buy E38's make sure the dealer is getting you the right one. Most of them will not take a refund and if you are using TIS on it, it's all too easy to corrupt the ECM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Well, just got back from the dealer. That was fun! They tell me that the OS they flashed in the ECM is the only one they can do, period. GMPX, I think you are right, I just looked at the old ECM, the dealer just gave it back to me, and it is service # 12612384. My customer supplied the ECM, guess it's the wrong one?? So I have to buy the correct ECM now, that is the only fix???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast