Thread: E40 LS2 Wont start

Smile E40 LS2 Wont start

Hi, I have been readying my Cobra kit car from its hibernation over the winter. I needed to replace the clutch, which was done over the winter with no issues. The engine was running fine all winter. However it has sat for the last 2 months without the battery connected. Whilst I removed the G Box to replace the clutch, and leaking rear crank seal... (the battery has been kept charged all through winter) Now I have come to start it and it cranks over ok but will not fire up. It seems the fuel pump is not operating during cranking. I bypassed the pump feed to keep the pump running during cranking, checked the pressure was ok at 60 psi and still it wont fire up. I upgraded the EFI live software to V8.21 and upgraded the firmware on the flashscn v2 controller. I then checked for codes and there are none ???? Checked all the connections to all the sensors but can find nothing wrong or out of place. The wiring seems ok. The throttle pedal and throttle body are all working fine. The engine came from a 2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 with a 24 tooth reluctor wheel, E40 ECU and has a stock tune file. I retained the throttle pedal, throttle body and MAF unit. The fuel pump is fed from the ECU. VATS Patch shows it is still applied. Does any one have any ideas what it might be? What I can test? Or what I might be missing to get it started? Any thoughts and Ideas would be a great help right now as I am missing the good weather for cruising....

Lifetime Member

Hello Matt,

Given that the engine was running fine, and there have been no changes to the tune, I would suspect a mechanical issue. Check / clean / re-secure the ground connections from the wiring harness.

Also, you were working in close proximity the CKP sensor - possible that is was damaged, or not properly reconnected.

Log CKP,CMP, as well as injector function and ignition coil function while cranking - not sure what the correct PIDs will be, never worked with an E40.

Regards,
    Taz

HI Taz, Thanks for your reply. I have been all over the obvious connections etc but cant see anything. I will indeed take a close look at the Crank and CAM sensors. In order to get the G Box out I had to disconnect the cam sensor and MAF sensors and move the engine just a few inches forward, something may have become damaged in the process. I will try what you say and look for the correct PIDs to watch....I will try again tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    HI Taz, Thanks for your reply. I have been all over the obvious connections etc but cant see anything. I will indeed take a close look at the Crank and CAM sensors. In order to get the G Box out I had to disconnect the cam sensor and MAF sensors and move the engine just a few inches forward, something may have become damaged in the process. I will try what you say and look for the correct PIDs to watch....I will try again tomorrow....
    Make sure you havent crushed the crank sensor wires between the bellhousing and block. But in saying that there should really be codes

Scanning do you get rpm?

Check earths seeing as you dont have a fuel pump trigger
    ---------------------------
    E38's got to love them
    E40's hate 'em

LS1's is there anything it wont work on

Holden VE SSV - GEN46L

www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

www.dualflash.com.au

HI Taz, Good call.....The crank sensor was not removed or disconnected when the G Box was removed. The loom I have routes those wires around the front of the engine and not around the bell housing. I have tested all the sensors are recicving 12volts or the refrence voltage 5v in the case of the MAP sensor. The electric throttle pedal is working. The throttle body is also working normally. Toinight I removed the dash and checked that power was making it to the relays and input of the fuses. Especially the cranking voltage... All ok ????? Checked the Earths and all are ok. I re-flashed the ECU with the current tune file and double checked the VATS Patch, it still shows "applied" And I still have no codes???? Next will be to check all sensor feeds back to the ECU plugs and to check power leaving the fuses is reaching the ECU plugs....Ran out of time for that tonight...If no joy then It rather narrows it down to a sensor or something a-miss with the ECU? One strange thing however I do not seem to have the full range of PIDs to view with this new software version 8 that I used to see with version 7.5 ??? I only have about 30 or so?? I cant see anthing for CPS or CKS not even battery voltage seems to be there??

Hi, Ok, Tested all the wiring and all is ok. Cranked the engine over loads and loads and it finally threw a code P0335 Crankshaft sensor. Plugged a new sensor in and Bingo fires up and runs....

Thanks for the follow up