Thread: Problems with BlackBox Logging with V7.1.7

Default Problems with BlackBox Logging with V7.1.7

I hope somebody has run across this problem. I had no problems logging everything seemed to go fine then I looked at the log and most of the events showed a spike in one frame. (Ex. RPM goes from 550Idle to 3000+ in one frame. TPS does the same and VSS shows 2 MPH then 60MPH, other PID's exhibit the same behavior) All this does not happen when logging with the laptop only with the interface (Blackbox). I also noticed in the Flashscan PID menu that Absolute throttle position was shown twice. I latter discovered that this was because I only showed 23 channels and it was looking for 24.

I reloaded V7.1.7 and found no changes with all the PID defaults in place. Then I loaded V7.1.6 and had no problems with BB Logging. The corrupt log files that showed the spike in V7.1.7 were all just noise (no data) the files with no data spikes were normal. At this point I still had one file in the BB that I had not cleared and I loaded it into 1.6 and found it had 100 more frames than in 1.7 and the file looked fine (gradual increase in data) no spikes. So it appears that not all of the data is being downloaded in 1.7.

Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks, Jim

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Have you done a memory check of FlashScan's memory? Just so you can rule out a faulty memory chip in FlashScan.

To perform a memory check, select the Scan Tool menu option: "FlashScan->Program selected PIDs into FlashScan"
    Then select the [Memory check] tab page and click on [Test].

WARNING the memory check will erase all logged data in the FlashScan unit.
    It also resets the "meta data" in the FlashScan cable. The meta data stores information such as frame counts, memory usage and PID selection etc.

I recommend that you clear FlashScan's memory between V7.1.6 and V7.1.7. There have been a number of changes to the format of the meta data which could cause logging issues. (This info should have been noted in the readme file during installation but was overlooked)

NOTE: Resetting the meta data can also be done (without performing the entire memory check) by clicking on the [Reset] button in the [Black box logging] tab page.

Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes I have reset the memory in the Flashscan interface with the reset button and also have done the memory test in V7.1.7 and it shows OK. I sent you an E-Mail showing how a 2400 frame log is 47.6 KB in 1.7 and 91.9 KB in 1.6. I am definitly missing some data. I think we can rule out the interface as it works well in 1.6. If it wasn't for the need for the 1514 calculated airflow table/test I would go with 1.6 for now but I would like to get 1.7 so I can use it.

Thanks, Jim