Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Improving shifts via the ECM

Hi, old thread I know, but have a couple of questions, please bare with me if anyone looks at this.

It was asked earlier on page 13, Will these help, or is there any risk to doing this on a vurtually stock E38/T43 on an 07 Escalade 6.2 non VVT/6L80E?

My tables dont look near as smooth as the OP's tables? I am assuming that is a tuned table prior to the OP's post not a result of this adjustment. I.E. his is smooth, and I can see the 5% increase in the tables. Mine is jagged and all over the place. I am experiencing some of the issues on my trans as it seems squishi, and at times, when turning a corner, I can feel the trans holding a gear, and then finally downshifting. Other than basic adjustments for tires size, speedo, a little MAF Tuning to bring it into spec, is all that has been adjusted so far, so these tables are still stock in my rom.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by raceghost View Post
    Hi, old thread I know, but have a couple of questions, please bare with me if anyone looks at this.

It was asked earlier on page 13, Will these help, or is there any risk to doing this on a virtually stock E38/T43 on an 07 Escalade 6.2 non VVT/6L80E?

My tables dont look near as smooth as the OP's tables? I am assuming that is a tuned table prior to the OP's post not a result of this adjustment. I.E. his is smooth, and I can see the 5% increase in the tables. Mine is jagged and all over the place. I am experiencing some of the issues on my trans as it seems squishi, and at times, when turning a corner, I can feel the trans holding a gear, and then finally downshifting. Other than basic adjustments for tires size, speedo, a little MAF Tuning to bring it into spec, is all that has been adjusted so far, so these tables are still stock in my rom.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Well, after a lot of digging and comparison, I have answered my own question. I hope this will help all of you, and OP, you may want to add this to your original post. I have tried this with great success.

First: Fact, All Truck/SUV 2006~2014 6.2L w/E38 controller, and 6l80E w/T43 controllers, are mechanically the same. All Gm part numbers within these years are interchangeable. I verified this with multiple GM dealers and Part Departments. What is different is programming within the ECM and TCM respectively.

Second: Respectfully, with these specific tables dealing with Torque Model's for shifting handshake to the TCM from ECM are scaled different. From what I have found, the 06~08 tables are referenced as old in the OP's post, and the 09~14 are referenced as the new tables. What if I told you they were the same tables, just labeled differently and scaled differently... However, I have tested by form of copy, and then smoothed the new tables from an 09 E38 into my 07 E38. Truck became a whole new ride, shifting smoother than butter and no more 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st stutter that nothing else could fix. Like when I would turn a corner, even though I tuned the transmission, ever so often it would feel like it was in neutral even though it was down shifting from 2nd to 1st, then deciding if it wanted to take 2nd or 1st again. Very annoying, as well as hard shifting every so often with 2nd to 3rd gear normal daily driving. My ECM/TCM has all updates applied by me at a GM dealer, meaning, I actually did the programming using their tools. It's good to haver friends, lol. Either way, I digress.

So with the above info, within post one you have "Old" and "New" tables, here is the association to each other:

Coefficient Table A1 [RPM_Airflow] ---> Coefficient Table A20 [RPM_Airflow]
    Coefficient Table A2 [RPM_RPM] ---> Coefficient Table A21 [RPM_RPM]
    Coefficient Table A3 [RPM_Spark] ---> Coefficient Table A22 [RPM_Spark]
    Coefficient Table A4 [RPM_Spark2] ---> Coefficient Table A23 [RPM_Spark Sq]
    Coefficient Table A5 [RPM_Spark_Airflow] ---> Coefficient Table A24 [RPM_Spark_Airflow]
    Coefficient Table A6 [RPM_Spark2_Airflow] ---> Coefficient Table A25 [RPM_Spark Sq_Airflow]
    Coefficient Table A7 [RPM_Map] ---> Coefficient Table A30 [Map_Map]
    Coefficient Table A8 [RPM_Spark_Map] ---> Coefficient Table A28 [Map_Spark_Map]
    Coefficient Table A9 [RPM_Spark2_Map] ---> Coefficient Table A29 [Map_Spark Sq_Map]
    Coefficient Table A10 [Map_RPM] ---> Coefficient Table A31 [Map_RPM]
    Coefficient Table A11 [Map_Spark] ---> Coefficient Table A26 [Map_Spark]
    Coefficient Table A12 [Map_Spark2] ---> Coefficient Table A27 [Map_Spark2]

You will note that the "old" tables are scaled with 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 columns.
    You will note that the "new" tables are scaled with 0, 5, 12.5, 20, and 25 columsn.
    You will not that the "old" tables have a 0 row, and a 6400 row.
    You will note that the "new" tables do not have these two rows.

Adjust accordingly with steps below

Ok, once you study them, and come to your own discovery, you can move on to this next part, which is how to get the 09+ tables into your 06~08 GM Rom. If you compare the data within these tables between the "old" and "new" you will see they are identical, at least in my case, just in different columns and cells.

So, what I did was Highlight Columns 20-30 and Rows 0-6400 and then pasted them in 15-25 Columns, essentially shifting all the cells left 1 column, and then leave 30 column alone.

Next take columns 5 and 10, copy and paste or shift all rows into the 0-5 columns.

Now Highlight the 5-15 columns and rows, and use the Green Left to right Arrow "Fill cells with linear data from left to right" This will auto fill the 10 column.

Now look at both roms, and you will see the new shape in the graph of the "old" rom tables looks identical to the "new" rom tables graph.

Below are (3) ECM Roms. For comparison of how the tables look stock, look within the 1st and 2nd rom. If you wish to see what it looks like completed, look to the Rom Labeled BossHog.mario.Tune1.1.12.29.20.... Again this is a fully stock 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT. Intake and Exhaust are the only mods that relate to Engine, and it only has roughly 8K miles on it.

Your welcome.
    Last edited by raceghost; February 28th, 2021 at 07:15 PM.

raceghost,

Thanks for posting your findings, I appreciate that this is tedious work, good job

Also, in addition, make sure that none of the VSS/TPS shift table curves cross each other anywhere (look at them all together).

And, you might want to set all the Throttle Downshift tables to 100% everywhere to avoid conflicts with the VSS/TPS shift tables.
    Last edited by joecar; March 9th, 2021 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    No it hasn't.

Wasn't even on the 'to do' list

I can't find it on my current PC, it'll be on a back up somewhere but I'm not going to go spend hours looking sorry.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but was the spreadsheet found and available?
    If you want more inches stroke it

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516