Thread: Harrop Hurricane 8 Throttle intake with E40

Default Harrop Hurricane 8 Throttle intake with E40

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had experience with tuning the Harrop 8 throttle body hurricane intake on an LS2 Holden VZ Clubsport (or any LS2) with an E40 computer and electronic throttle?

One of our employees has his mind set on getting one ordered this week but as the tuner I am a bit concerned with the lack of vacuum and the lack of custom operating systems for the E40 causing low speed drivability and idle issues.

Has anyone done this combination before? What was your outcome? any major issues? Would you recommend it as a viable upgrade for a road/track car or is the headache to big?

Thanks in advance for your input…

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Being ETC based that thing will jump in to limp mode constantly, I don't know if the E40 locks itself down like the 1Mb LS1 PCM when it senses an ETC issue, but it might.
    They really need to be Fuelled off TPS too given there is no vacuum, but as you say, there is no COS for the E40 to do this (and no chance of one coming either).

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I had a feeling that would be the case Ross, I have done a few 4 cylinder cars with quad throttle body’s and had to use 4D fuel tables with an aftermarket ECU.

I understand there will be more consistent and slightly higher vacuum with 8 cylinders, Harrop say they have had good success with their manifold on E38 equipped engines so there must be enough vacuum as I am not aware of any custom OS for TPS fueling for the E38?

Anybody actual fitted one of these manifolds to any engine?

i thought that the harrop hurricane use's all orignal sensors and vacum take offs i run kinsler itb's which use a vacum line from each intake track too a common plenium where i get my map reading from and brake servo

The ETC version of the Harrop runs a modified version of the std throttle body to control all the linkages, so should work fine. Additional info here...

http://www.harrop.com.au/insideharro...iew&post_id=96

http://www.harrop.com.au/projects.ph...iew&post_id=75

http://www.harrop.com.au/insideharro...ew&post_id=109

And for those that can't be bothered following the links, here's the images.

Stick100, do you get enough MAP reading with the 8 runners connected to tune with? Harrop have not been able to tell us if there will be sufficient vacuum or not, with no COS for TPS fueling I will need a good vacuum source.

Looks like I might be the Crash Test Dummy on this one....

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    The ETC version of the Harrop runs a modified version of the std throttle body to control all the linkages, so should work fine. Additional info here...
    And for those that can't be bothered following the links, here's the images.
    I bet that it is going to be a real bitch to find an air cleaner to fit that setup. I will say that has to be the coolest looking intake setup I have seen for a LS based motor to date!!!. Any idea on price on that setup?

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

in the logs i have done the map sensors reading upto 98 kpa if that helps sorry still new to this tuneing lark
    i was going to go for the harrop intake over the kinsler becouse it use's all oringnal sensors but i got the kinsler secondhand and cheap