Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder cutout test

Default Cylinder cutout test

I know i can check injector balance rates through the pid section. But can you do a cylinder cut out on this software? If so how do i go about it? Thanks for any help

are u asking if u can shut off each injector, if thats what ur asking they dont have it yet that i know of, hopefully later on though
    Black06MegaCab/DTT/TDC/EFI LIVE/Gauges/Raptor150/HTTss62-71/AFEPusher/5''ss/TGC8inLongArm/Fox/38''MG ..... RED / 2005 / QCSB / G56 / SBDD / TST / Smarty TNT / ETC... K.I.A.

Yes... If it would do a cylinder cut out test. Hopefully that will come in time. Cylinder balance is good too,can tell you alot by if an injector is trimming fuel back to keep balance or or adding fuel. So its better than guessing or pulling them out and having them tested. Ill live

Quote Originally Posted by Chadsix View Post
    Yes... If it would do a cylinder cut out test. Hopefully that will come in time. Cylinder balance is good too,can tell you alot by if an injector is trimming fuel back to keep balance or or adding fuel. So its better than guessing or pulling them out and having them tested. Ill live
    you can also check each exhaust port with a heat gun, and/or check the resistance across each injector
    06 Laramie 3500 QC SB 4x4 - Full billet Auto by DTT, HE351/S475 twins, EFI live, lots of custom goodies....

07 6.2L Yukon Denali - CAI, CAT delete, self tuned with EFI Live

03 Trailblazer 4.2L I6 - CAI, custom exhaust, EFI live

2010 Laramie 3500 CC LB 4x4 - H&S, DPF delete, waiting for EFI Live.....

This is something that we've brought up before and is on the wish list.

The injector kill test is THE easiest way to find the one giving you a problem.

The problem with checking the resistance across the injectors is it only tells you if the solenoid is bad. Most injector issues that we see are cracked bodies / nozzles. Hitting them with the heat gun is "ok", but the cast iron manifolds are so thick and spread the heat that you don't always see much of a variance at idle, unless the cylinder is just dead.
    Last edited by DoghouseDiesel; March 30th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

In my experience a cylinder cut out test will only show a fuel delivery imbalance. Cracked injector bodies and high return rate can only be diagnosed by mechanically isolating an injector.

Im not having an issue i was just curious. Like dog house said resistance is Only going to give you the electrical side of things. If you have a cracked body or nozzle or one returning too much to the tank than a contribution test may be in order but most issues can be found with a cut out test.

Doing a kill test shows a lot more than delivery imbalance. If the truck skips, pops, burps, farts, whatever, killing each one will weed it out. Killing a good injector makes the truck stumble and the ECM reacts. Killing a bad one either causes no change in the running condition OR the issue stops.

It's a lot faster to do a kill test before pulling injectors. Takes 5 minutes to do and normally keeps you from running a wild goose chase.

Doing the Cylinder Contribution Test is what shows the delivery imbalance.
    Last edited by DoghouseDiesel; March 31st, 2012 at 04:29 AM.

1207 HP / 1612 TQ

dont get me wrong, i wish we could do a kill test. I was just giving him some other options to troubleshoot in the meantime
    06 Laramie 3500 QC SB 4x4 - Full billet Auto by DTT, HE351/S475 twins, EFI live, lots of custom goodies....

07 6.2L Yukon Denali - CAI, CAT delete, self tuned with EFI Live

03 Trailblazer 4.2L I6 - CAI, custom exhaust, EFI live

2010 Laramie 3500 CC LB 4x4 - H&S, DPF delete, waiting for EFI Live.....

Again, im not having any injector issues. it would def be nice to do a cut out test when having issues than having the dealer do it. 05 ecm's still had the data link to connect through cummins insight. but 06 they changed the communication and eliminated the data link so insight can only be hooked to the ecm through a breakout harness. wich i tried once and it still didnt work. Sad i run a service dept and we are a cummins dealer and i cant diag my own truck with cummins software... dodge had that one figured out lol. Nope besides my shotty tuning trucks running fine. I do have the tools to cap the rail and isolate injectors thats more or less to check leak down. hopefully it will come soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast