Thread: P-10 to P-12....how much boost?

Default P-10 to P-12....how much boost?

I have a 2005 I6 in a '56 chevy truck so no BCM to worry about.

I don't want to get a new engine. The turbo I have is a GT4288 and capable of 6-650 at the wheels which I intend to do.

Strictly as a swap ECU/tuning aspect. How much boost will a P12 take?

I realize to boost on the P10 I'd run a 2 bar or whatever size MAP and half the tables. But this still won't work real well I suppose because of how the VE table works. I may try it anyways.

I really don't want a MAF as MAF on boosted application usually suck and even on my N/A ls I threw it away and run SD.

So lets say I P12 swap and run a 3 bar map what problems should I expect? I say 3 bar because I expect to need about 20psi to get my power goals. Can P12 even be run in SD?

If P12 can't do it and I need to change a few parts to run E67, will E67 run 3 bar?

Thanks.

Lifetime Member

Ive toyed with this idea for about 3 years now on my 02 I6, just need to buy the harness and plug it in. You're lucky with this being a swap, I say go for it. Some of my hesitation has been related to keeping all of the stock TrailBlazer features (BCM, cluster, radio, etc).

You'll have to run an 06 or 07 I6 OS (04-06 P12s are 1MB flash, 07s are 2MB so they DONT interchange), pretty much going to have to run MAF only for boost as you will get out of the VE table once you hit boost.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

can I run an e67 speed density with a 3Bar map and scale the virtual VE to 3 bar?

I'm honestly trying to research this but I can't find much of anything.

I'll add that I'm worried about a 2.5 bar sensor since I could see more than ~22 psi even if I'm cutting it around 20. If I could run a 3 bar I know I'd never have a problem.

then I can set the fuel tables "safe" above my wanted 20psi and never worry about it.

also, can I run a bigger electronic throttle body on the E67 with the trailblazer cal? Like one from a TBSS? Maybe aftermarket ported?

Lifetime Member

Not without pulling the crank and swapping to a 58x reluctor, the 02-07 I6s have a 7x crank reluctor so you're limited to either a P10 or P12 to control them for those years.

If you swap the reluctor (and possibly the exhaust cam actuator as that has the cam reluctor, not sure what it is), then you can run an E67 (Id suggest an 08 E67 and factory I6 OS). You can run up to 2.5Bar using the VVE table in SD and/or run a MAF as well. Also remember starting in 06 the I6 had a MAF.

I highly doubt you'd need to run a bigger throttle body, I cant say how it will work.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

I can get the engines so cheap out the yard I'll prob just swap to the newer engine to take advantage of the updated oiling as well. Last one I paid $700 for the engine/trans/computer/harness/driveshaft. I can prob get the engine and computer for half that.

My dad and I have been messing with this project('56 chevy truck) for the last 4 years on and off(more off) and been planning on a turbo'ing the engine since we got it, before efilive even supported it.

drawing nearly 3x the mass flow through the stock TB than a stock engine I'd rather get a larger TB so I can run less boost for the same power. EBP goes down as well. Its just a win win. I can handle that part in due time though if your not sure if anything else will plug and play.

Lifetime Member

I know weird stuff happens when you start messing with different throttle bodies on the E67/E38s, it could be as simple as sitting down and really working on the tune. Gotcha on the air flow, I know some TBSS guys run LS7 throttle bodies on Maggied engines. Not many boosted I6s out there AFAIK, kinda in uncharted waters.

If you can get an 08-09 motor, just swap it. Much easier than swapping cranks. Also, Im in the market for an 06-07 I6 if you wouldnt mind keeping your eye out for one. Probably wont have the $$ to buy one until the end of summer or fall, but another set of eyes makes it easier to source one!
    ~Erik~

I'll keep this thread updated.

thanks man.