Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! ECM Crash

ECMS seem to have a problem frying with EFI i have been reading, and from what i have heard they are not cheap

There is probably less than a dozon dead ones to the thousands of others that have been flashed. It is actually safe to use in the personal version, just the commercial and up that will cause problems if you are not careful.
    04.5 2500HD LLY EC/LB
    14 Sonic RS Sedan
    GM Certified Technician
    President of the 'I killed an ECM' club

EFILive Reseller

Most are operator error. There's only one known bug and that one bit me as well as Mr. Tripp. Mine were easily recoverable.

ECM Full flash (under normal circumstrances) only needs to be done once to lay the groundwork for the program, be it DSP2 or standard OS. This is the only time that they are really at risk, and the risk is relatively low.
    www.kennedydiesel.com
    Specializing in Duramax Performance
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis.
    Superflow Lie Detector in house

Quote Originally Posted by bussard
    ECMS seem to have a problem frying with EFI i have been reading, and from what i have heard they are not cheap
    I can see why you make this assumption. You may be referencing a recent post by an EFILive user who killed two ECM's in one day.......it was mentioned in later posts that it was in fact a handheld programmer that did that, not EFILive.
    Years ago (before EFILive could tune) I was fixing LS1 PCM's that were 'fried' by LS1Edit. On average I would fix 3 - 4 per week. So I know exactly the frustration had by all when this happens.
    One of our goals when writing EFILive was to make it as bullet proof in the reprogramming area as possible. For all the 1,000's of computers that have been flashed by EFILive probably 0.1% have failed. The odds are very rare, but it does happen.
    We have recovery proceedures in place that for most programming failures will get the ECM up and running again.

It's not as dangerous as it might appear.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12