Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Guide Me Through Tuning a Cammed LS6

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    nice job on the VE table GM.
    on a big cammed, in fact any cammed engine, you need the spark table "back stop" I've posted in a few threads describing this technique to help stabilise idle droop in a cammed car.
    Basically at 600rpm in base spark & main octane table throw in about 30deg and at 400rpm throw in about 40deg. This ramps up idle spark when it droops much more quickly than relying on spark learning. Makes a HUGE difference to idle stability!!!
    Also you will need to do the rafig process to setup idle airflow correctly. Cammed engines need more air at idle so when aiming for say 40 to 50 IAC steps you will probably need to open up the TB a wee bit. Remember if you do this you may need to do a TPS reset to keep it in idle mode B5916 below 1.19%. The rafig, TB reset stuff, IAC steps and idle airflow are all done sort of together to obtain a stable idle. Its a bit tricky at first but you'll work it out.
    I will read into the Rafig process, there is no tutorial on this correct?
    2002 Z06
    Vengeance Racing Stage 5, H/C/I/3.90 diff, 575 hp
    2016 Chevy SS M6 (daily driver)
    Roto-fab Intake

Lifetime Member

Sorry for the delay. I finally started working on the car again. Got the new cam in. Will be working on getting the heads on tomorrow.

Here is the stock tune 2001 Z06 Stock.tun
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

No worries, take your time.

Lifetime Member

I think what I will do is try to make a base tune and post it here. I hope you guys don't mind taking a look at it and offer some assistance and pointers.
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

We'll take a look, no worries.

Sorry, I've been kinda busy lately - post up your base tune, and we will look it over. One question - are you running stock injectors, or changing them?
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLK02WS6 View Post
    Sorry, I've been kinda busy lately - post up your base tune, and we will look it over. One question - are you running stock injectors, or changing them?
    I attached the stock tune above ^^. Stock injectors. The heads had some pitting in the exhaust valve seats so they are currently being worked on. I will post a base line tune that I made as well to see how far off I am from you .
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

Lifetime Member

Here is a quick attempt of mine for a base tune.2001 Z06 Modified 1.tun

Main VE table I reduced the first 1/3 by 5%, left the middle alone and increased the last 1/3 by 5%.

Main spark tables I increased part load advance and smoothed the tables.

Idle spark tables I increased timing 4 deg.

Set Idle speed to 950.

Did misc. adjustments like air injection on time, cags disabled, COTP disable, PE AFR at 12.5, fan temps, etc...
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

Finally got around to putting something together for you... What you did was not bad and would have gone a long ways towards having the car start and run good enough to get tuning... A lot of what I did is based on experience - its a lot easier to come up with a baseline when you have hundreds of LS1 tunes on hand to use as a starting point. If you have any specific questions, let me know - some of the differences will be obvious to you and some may not... This is by no means a finished tune for your particular car and will still require a good bit of work to get it right...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLK02WS6 View Post
    Finally got around to putting something together for you... What you did was not bad and would have gone a long ways towards having the car start and run good enough to get tuning... A lot of what I did is based on experience - its a lot easier to come up with a baseline when you have hundreds of LS1 tunes on hand to use as a starting point. If you have any specific questions, let me know - some of the differences will be obvious to you and some may not... This is by no means a finished tune for your particular car and will still require a good bit of work to get it right...
    Thanks so much, I am only 2 years into tuning and on only a few cars... this is my first head and cam tune and I am sure this will be a great step in my learning process. I will take some time to look it through and develop some questions. Thanks again!
    2002 Z06
    Roto-fab Intake

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast