Thread: [NZ] What's Waitangi Day?

Default [NZ] What's Waitangi Day?

My Dilbert calendar tells me that it's Waitangi Day in New Zealand. Can anyone tell me what it's all about?

(Yes, it's a slow day at the office today. Everyone must be off celebrating.)
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2005 GTO LS2/T56

All the guys go out and lay bait around to trap the Waitangi. It doesn't cook up well but it really is a challenge to trap. When they do catch one, they pluck a feather from it and add it to their ceremonial Waitangi headdress for the tribal dance on the full moon! All quite fun actually!
    2014 Corvette Convertible, Torch Red, A6, Z51, 3LT, NPP Exhaust

Mmmmm... tasty Waitangi. Have one for me.

Click here to see what a Waitangi looks like.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
    All the guys go out and lay bait around to trap the Waitangi. It doesn't cook up well but it really is a challenge to trap. When they do catch one, they pluck a feather from it and add it to their ceremonial Waitangi headdress for the tribal dance on the full moon! All quite fun actually!
    , But seriously.. its probably the opposite of Independance Day. Its the day NZ was overrun by the Pakeha (white man).

" Waitangi Day commemorates the signing of a treaty at Waitangi on 6 February 1840 by a group of Maori chiefs and the British Government, represented by Lieutenant-Governor Hobson. The treaty was subsequently signed by other Maori chiefs in various locations throughout the country. "

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/Gallery/treaty/

Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.