Thread: AutoVE Tuning Eval

Red face AutoVE Tuning Eval

Dear all,
    After following the AutoVE Tuning Tutorial, I have some results and some questions. I have a 98 A4 Z28 with LTs, 3" Ypipe, Off road pipes, 3k Stall, 80mmTB, LID, slp 85mm Maf-unplugged but still physically inline, and that's about it. Having acquired EFILive about 2 weeks ago,nn I have been trying to donate my spare time to learning how to tune. I have sucessfully set up an LC-1 and installed a "Ram Mount" Laptop holder in the car. I have run the LTs for about 2 years now with no real tuning. My suspicions were confirmed with initial wideband logs saying I was on the rich side. After printing out and following to the letter, with increasing B0101 and B0103 by 15% as per the manual (with all the other instructions too), it looked rich (see first attachment). After "washing, rinsing, and repeating," things started to look real good after two "passes" of copying with lables from the logs and paste and multiply with labels to B0101 and B0103. Now after a third pass, it started to get too lean and it bothered me(Sorry I didn't save any of those logs-I guess at that point I was freaking out. Let's just say I was idling at btw 15-16 afr.) Now I know the tutorial says shoot for 1 +/- .01. In my "After 2 rinse shot" (2nd attachment)you'll note at low idle I am still on the rich side. Most of my upper cruising rpm / kpm seems to be in line with a few exceptions. It seems as though I am just being a well-trained monkey with this and I am just starting to get the whole cause and effect thing as far as VE goes. What can I do besides "copy labels" to everything and then "paste and multiply with lables." I mean, should I or could I just select those cells giving me problems and then mulitply or what? Sorry for the long post. TIA for any help, suggestions, leers and jeers. I don't want to sound like "Eh, What button do I push now? I wanna go fast." I haven't had a good challenge like this in a long time.
    Ps I don't want you to think I am totally retarded but yes I did take some cheesy photos / screen shots with a cheap digital camera. Is there another way to get you guys better shots? I've seen others post nicer shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Begining AutoVE (rich) Feb log.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After 2 AutoVe Rinse.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	432  

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

In the second photo, the block of "orange" is what the goal is across the entire MAP and RPM range. With a 30 minute or so drive, one can fill every cell in the table pretty well with a good number of counts.

Another key point if you haven't done it yet is to filter out any quick throttle position transients using the "filter" button on the scanner toolbar.

Looks like you're on the right track to me. Filling up as many of the cells as you can during one drive will help you identify those cells that are too rich or lean. Rinse and repeat copying the BEN values into your VE table.

2009 Z06 LS7 / 2008 Sierra Denali AWD L92 6L80E
    Flashing control modules since 2001. 8-)
    Who needs a MAP sensor on a supercharged LS6 anyway.

Oh yeah - For screenshots, click the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. Then "paste" it into a photo editing/viewing software. Next, save it as a .jpg file. One can then attach the .jpg file to the post on the forum.

Here is today's update. This is as close as I could get so I went back to LTRIMs and the MAF to see how they were tracking. If I tried to wash one more time after this it just went to lean. I tried just selecting the cells that were "out," with no luck. That is with the copy with labels and paste and multiply approach. By multiplying what is happening? I take it that the procedure starts you out rich and the successive wash/rinse/ repeat cycles lean you out. Eh, yeah.

Name:	test2.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	437  
    Last edited by Doc; February 7th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.

www.efialchemy.com

Most of those look perfect...!

Using your new VE table you now have calibrate your MAF table if you want to use your MAF sensor.

Could you point me in the right direction on MAF calibration? I mean do you know of a published one like the other fine tutorials on the EFI website?

www.efialchemy.com

Oh and I edited the image to get all of it. First time I ever messed with MS publisher. The stupid Corel program that came with the laptop would not just let me paste after the printkey trick. What do you think of My {B0101} and {B0103} ?

Name:	feb07MainVE.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feb7backupVE.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	440  
    Last edited by Doc; February 7th, 2006 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added images

www.efialchemy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Could you point me in the right direction on MAF calibration? I mean do you know of a published one like the other fine tutorials on the EFI website?
    While still still in OLSD mode but using your new VE table,
    log MAFFREQ and DYNAIR (...I'm not near my EFILive right now...);
    create a one column table (matching the MAF table) of these sorted by MAFFREQ and paste in.

I haven't got this far since I broke my LC-1 a while back and I'm just now reinstalling it (new and improved subharness on it) and I want to log AFR while I do this to make sure;
    but my logs show DYNAIR and MAF mostly on top of each each other and this is without calibrating my MAF table yet.

Some people use %difference (similar to BEN's), a tuturial sure would be good for this too.

Regards
    Joe
    Last edited by joecar; February 7th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.

Before calibration of the MAF, get the VE dialed in like your doing from idle to rev limiter and across all MAP cells (15 to 105 kPa).

For MAF calibration, see this thread -> http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread...ighlight=works

Post #9 in that thread has the step by step.

And a screenshot too! (Fast learner here folks...)