Thread: Can you tune for Higher Torque a lower RPMs?

Default Can you tune for Higher Torque a lower RPMs?

Hi,
    I have a LS1 in my HJ60 landcruiser and I was wondering if it is possible to tune a stock LS1 engine to have higher torque at lower RPMs?

If I could get some of the torque I get at 4000 RPMs at less RPMs I would be very happy.

Cheers,
    Laychut
    Going places no one else dares to Go!
    60 Series Landcruiser, GenIII LS1 5.7, 4L60E Trans, 4" Stainless Snorkel
    4" Lift, 35 x 12.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains

Hi Laychut,

To lower the torque peak requires changing cam (moving valve events to optimize cylinder fill at lower rpm range) or adding a blower or changing gearing;

Tuning just optimizes the ECM's model so it makes the best torque the existing hardware can make, it won't be able to "move" the torque peak down.

Changing gearing doesn't lower the torque peak, but moves your operating rpm up.

If you are referring to "stock" as "stock factory tune", then you can improve the engine response by optimising the the tune. Joecar is correct in stating the the maxiumum torque reading for any given RPM is dependant on the cam profile, but the stock tunes are set to dull down the torque in the lower RPM range. Basically, the tune limits the available torque so you don't actually get the maximum torque the cam can produce. Improving the tune settings down low and reducing the torque management will make the engine feel more responsive.

If the engine tune is already optimised, then you'll need to look at changing gearing or changing the cam.

Simon.

Hi Joecar,
    I figured as much.

I was thinking of changing either my diff ratios or my transfer box gears a bit later down the track. At this stage I am not looking at fitting a turbo or a blower.

At the moment I am happy to see how much I can get out of the engine just by tuning.

Cheers,

Laychut

[QUOTE=swingtan;168661]If you are referring to "stock" as "stock factory tune", then you can improve the engine response by optimising the the tune. Joecar is correct in stating the the maxiumum torque reading for any given RPM is dependant on the cam profile, but the stock tunes are set to dull down the torque in the lower RPM range. Basically, the tune limits the available torque so you don't actually get the maximum torque the cam can produce. Improving the tune settings down low and reducing the torque management will make the engine feel more responsive.

Hi Simon,
    I would imagine that by correcting the VE and MAF tables on my vehicle that it would work towards improving the tune settings down low. I am currently working through the Calc Vet tuning.

What else would I need to look at?

What would be the best way to adjust the torque management? I have read that if you are not careful you can damage the trani. Has this been your experience?

cheers,

Laychut