Thread: ECM Reflash Gone Horribly Wrong - Advice Please - 2004 LB7

Default ECM Reflash Gone Horribly Wrong - Advice Please - 2004 LB7

It looks like a couple people have similar problems as I'm having, i will research them and try everything i read, in the meantime here's my Sob Story.

My friend got a new truck 2004 LB7. I had an extra license and the nice guy that i am, offered to set him up with EFI Live.

I'm not a complete idiot though, i did save his stock OS (15189044) before i did anything.

We attempted to recalibrate his ECM with a tune i got from nick at duramaxtuner. The tune was the same operating system as his, but it failed.

I attempted to reflash his ECM with the tune i got from Nick since i couldn't get it to calibrate. Well this is where things turn for the worst. The reflash started off fine, until it erased the ECM memory, gas gauge drops to zero like normal, then BAM at 14 seconds in, it can't initialize the ECM. It tries again and again a couple minuites, and i ended up clicking stop, to try it again, assess the damage.

From there on out, it will not initialize the ECM, cannot seed, basically says ecm won't respond.

I tried updating software, that forced me to get version 8, from there, all updated it gave me an error $101A and i couldn't even start trying to reflash.

I reinstalled 7.5 and that atleast let me attempt to reflash the ECM, but i keep getting the same error, won't seed, ecm wont initialize.

My first thought is that this thing got wiped clean, and then lost connection, failed, shit hit the fan, and we need a new ECM.

We did not disconnect the battery though, per advice from EFI live. I'm still holding out i can get this reflashed and working again.

The check engine light glows very DIM, not bright like normal, the gas gauge still doesn't work, and it won't even crank.

If anyone knows if i can fix this without buying another ECM i would be forever greatful for your advice. I'm in over my head, i've tinkered with my LBZ for three years, and never a hiccup. After doing all the updates i'm having trouble utilizing the new software to fix a problem i created with the old software.

If i did fry the ECM did i fry my EFI license with it? How will i reprogram the new ECM with his OS and VIN and everything?

Did you update the V2 when you updated V7.5 and the V8 software?

1) Did it read fine, is the calibration "OK" or did you get a message it had a damaged calibration ?

2) does it have any aftermarket radio, navigation, alarms, I-Pod adapters, XM adapters, ect ?

3) Can you connect to the ecm and get the information with the "Chip Icon" to see if the Vin, OS, calibration details ?

If you want to ship me the ecm I will put it on my bench harness and see if I can recover it for you, just pay the shipping.

If it cannot be recovered I have a dozen or so LB7 ecms in stock, lemme know if I can help.

Thanks and Good Luck
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorzane View Post
    Did you update the V2 when you updated V7.5 and the V8 software?
    i got everything up to date, still couldn't find the pcm, trying any combonation of tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    1) Did it read fine, is the calibration "OK" or did you get a message it had a damaged calibration ?

2) does it have any aftermarket radio, navigation, alarms, I-Pod adapters, XM adapters, ect ?

3) Can you connect to the ecm and get the information with the "Chip Icon" to see if the Vin, OS, calibration details ?

If you want to ship me the ecm I will put it on my bench harness and see if I can recover it for you, just pay the shipping.

If it cannot be recovered I have a dozen or so LB7 ecms in stock, lemme know if I can help.

Thanks and Good Luck
    1) it said damaged calibration, and then wouldn't find the pcm.

2)no

3)no

i'm pretty sure the ecm is not recoverable by any conventional means i have with efi live, spent hours reading everything on all the forums, and trying to get it back, 100 different ways. I got a new pcm off craigslist for $100, it's in and it cranks now. i can scan the pcm and get a security code DTC. im doing the relearn off-crank-on repeat every 10 min cycle.

How do i get my license from the toast pcm to work on this one so i can get it tuned once it runs again? or am i SOL?

Contact Blacky or GMPX and see if they can help you out on the license.

If you want to ship the ecm to me I can see if It can be bench flashed or send it to SoCal Diesel and see if they can repair it.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Send me the old ECM. We may be able to buy it from you.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clarkw View Post
    How do i get my license from the toast pcm to work on this one so i can get it tuned once it runs again? or am i SOL?
    Send me the serial and auth code of your FlashScan as per this page:
    http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...2143-YUOG-8049
    Also include a scanned copy of the receipt (or some sort of proof of purchase) for the purchase of the replacement PCM.
    Send to paul@efilive.com

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Blacky, i appreciate the response, i will forward the appropriate information. I appreciate everyones help!

Thank You
    Clark