Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 03-05 Cummins 5.9L Support

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf1974 View Post
    If your business model is to only work on the things you know, how can you, as a company, expect to grow? It seems silly to me that you would not put a full development team onto a project like this. The demand is there and you are going to end up missing out on a huge market simply because the leaders are not able evolve and grasp a sci bus. It sounds like very poor leadership to me and it greatly disappoints me.
    They make new trucks everyday bud. They aren't making SCI trucks anymore and never will. They're outdated and getting older by the day. Same goes for the 24v VP trucks. Either buy a newer truck or buy a Smarty.
    Dan's Diesel Performance
    www.dansdieselperformance.com

If your business model is to only work on the things you know, how can you, as a company, expect to grow? It seems silly to me that you would not put a full development team onto a project like this. The demand is there and you are going to end up missing out on a huge market simply because the leaders are not able evolve and grasp a sci bus. It sounds like very poor leadership to me and it greatly disappoints me.
    Ok, do you actually understand the technical difference between the SCI bus and CAN before you go accusing EFILive of poor leadership?

I'll try to wrap it around a different scenario....
    Apple computers up until around 2006 used a CPU series known as PowerPC (lets say that is SCI), then in 2006 they switched to Intel Core CPU's (lets call that CAN). The two CPU's are totally different, programs can not be run between them just like SCI and CAN are totally different in every way shape and form. What you are asking is the equivalent of Apple to abandon or stop development on their entire computer range from 2006 (which ironically is about when Cummins changed to CAN), to go back and write updated versions of their software for end of life products that used the PowerPC series CPU's. Not sure that would really make sense when what they work on now (Intel CPU based development) covers an 8 year product life and will continue to expand as the years go on. Hard fact is that the SCI ECM (we are really only talking the CM848 here) had a one and a half year product life at best.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by dansdieselp View Post
    They make new trucks everyday bud. They aren't making SCI trucks anymore and never will. They're outdated and getting older by the day. Same goes for the 24v VP trucks. Either buy a newer truck or buy a Smarty.
    So you think that giving up on a market that has somewhere between a 500,000 and 1,000,000 trucks is a waste of time and resources? The market share is there. The demand is there. If you cannot do it then you will not succeed. To me it seems like they just gave up instead of building something that people want. You won't stay in business very long with that type of business model.

Why did I waste my time responding, clearly the walls are up at your end

Ah also, are you telling us Dodge sold 1,000,000 Cummins powered RAM's between 2004 and 2005?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I am very familiar with the differences. I also have worked in product development so I know what goes on. Giving up on something when the market share is as huge as the Cummins 03-05 market is, to me, is poorly planned by poor leadership.

The amount of calls we get for 2010+ trucks vs prior 2006 trucks is around 500 to 1. I'm very thankful EFI is pursuing ventures that will keep food on my employees tables. Is there a market for SCI trucks? Yes.... is it even 1/4 of that of 2010+? No.

Very smart business move by efi.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

So you think that giving up on a market that has somewhere between a 500,000 and 1,000,000 trucks is a waste of time and resources? The market share is there. The demand is there. If you cannot do it then you will not succeed. To me it seems like they just gave up instead of building something that people want. You won't stay in business very long with that type of business model.
    Of those trucks how many are still on the road and how many owners will actually modify them? Numbers are getting smaller. New fourth gens are being made right now and those numbers are increasing every day. That's where the market is at. Another common misbelief is EFILive is a big company with many developers. Not the case. The whole company is made up of about 6-10 people and they're in New Zeeland. Of that group only one guy (Ross) does all the mapping development for the company. So there isn't spare time to go back and develop support for a 10+ year old truck with no guarantee the work put into it will work out in the end. Smarty has UDC for the SCI trucks and works pretty good.
    Dan's Diesel Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    The amount of calls we get for 2010+ trucks vs prior 2006 trucks is around 500 to 1. I'm very thankful EFI is pursuing ventures that will keep food on my employees tables. Is there a market for SCI trucks? Yes.... is it even 1/4 of that of 2010+? No.

Very smart business move by efi.
    I believe I had 5-6 people ask all last year if they will be supported.
    Dan's Diesel Performance

Lifetime Member

I am very familiar with the differences. I also have worked in product development so I know what goes on. Giving up on something when the market share is as huge as the Cummins 03-05 market is, to me, is poorly planned by poor leadership.
    Good leadership is admitting a favourable outcome won't be possible in a reasonable time frame with adequate resources (admitting defeat and retreating for want of a better term). Bad leadership is continuing to throw good resources into something that doesn't show any promise of return.

Given your understanding of the 2 product structures, I propose we contract you on a full time basis, but choose not to pay you until you deliver a result.....which up until our announcement is how it worked for us. 3000 man hours and counting.....

Cheers
    Cindy

to me, is poorly planned by poor leadership.
    Poor leadership is what politicians give us because they just make decisions to get more votes and be popular, good leadership means not being everything to everyone, you have to make the harder calls sometimes, not everyone can win.
    If you are so blinded by your own interests that you can't see this then really why bother continuing to post? You've seen a few shop owners respond saying the numbers are simply not what you imagine, how many Cummins trucks have you tuned in 2014 vs how many the tuners who've responded? I take their word of experience over someone who is just annoyed their truck is not supported. I appreciate that you want EFILive for your truck, that is a compliment, but as Dan said, UDC is there for you right now if you want it.

Before you repost the 'poor leadership' message again, please point me to where Dodge shows they sold 1,000,000 Cummins powered RAM's between 2004 and 2005 as you've stated?
    Last edited by GMPX; January 13th, 2015 at 12:32 PM.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast