Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "controller locked with custom key" DEAD ECM

I just tested a full flash on a LLY ecm and a LLY autocal and it went through no problem with the latest software/firmware. I had a unresponsive LLY ecm that I tested on, I coun't pass through using V8 and the autocal to recover it, so I had to load a tune in using V7.5, then tested and full flashed it using V8 and Autocal.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

In the truck or on the bench?
    Dan's Diesel Performance
    www.dansdieselperformance.com

On a bench, but we have sent out over 30 LLY autocals in the last two weeks and have not had one we couldn't get the customer to load using pass-through. I'm not aware of what software versions or firmware versions they are running as there have been so many changes in the last month that our crew can't get enough time with re-configing all these customers autocals everytime there is a firmware update posted to breath.

Correction, we did have one LLY ecm that the customer had to send in for recovery on my bench harness using V7.5. Not sure what happened on that one.
    Last edited by IdahoRob; May 10th, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

What's the best way to keep these other modules from interrupting the process? Can we pull fuses as a possibly precaution?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjamesbond1 View Post
    What's the best way to keep these other modules from interrupting the process? Can we pull fuses as a possibly precaution?
    The best way is for us to get our flash process correct, which I am confident is fixed in the latest release.

It is almost impossible to kill the LLY (E60 controller) even during a full flash, so the simplest option right now would be to use the latest software and firmware to flash the LLY without pulling fuses. If for some (as yet) unknown reason the flash fails, then pulling fuses (radio, BCM, ABS are the most likely culprits) may allow the ECM to be recovered - you may also have to reboot the ECM by disconnecting the battery. So now that the problem is fixed, there should be no need to pull fuses unless something fails.

Note, that is not the case for the LB7. During a full flash if it fails in the first 10-15 seconds there is a high chance that the PCM will be dead. If a full flash fails on the LB7 the most important thing to do is to not remove battery power. Instead retry the flash procedure using the V8 or V7 software until it succeeds. The same goes for most other VPW controllers.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I pulled the ECM out and put it on my bench harness. After trying with multiple times with V8, the ECM still appeared dead. I tried reading/writing/checking status several times (restarted EFILive several times too, disconnected/reconnected the V2 etc), and on the third try, I was finally able to get V7 to read out the tune from the LLY ECM as if nothing was wrong.

Then I tried a test flash with V7, worked fine.

Then I tried a full flash with V8, didnt work. Said "invalid serial number", and that the controller was locked with a custom key...when it clearly is not (and has never been) locked. I tried 6 more times, tried using $FFFF key, etc. And finally on the 7th try, it finally seemed to full flash.

It supposedly completed the full flash successfully...even though when the countdown timer still had about 1:10 left, it immediately jumped to "finished". I was a bit suspicious when that happened, so Im currently re-reading the tune back out of the ECM with V7 to verify that V8 full-flashed the ECM correctly....

hmm

ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

That description fits with the symptoms of the issue I'm working on solving right now...
    See my post #13 here http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....915#post169915

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Then I tried a full flash with V8, didnt work. Said "invalid serial number", and that the controller was locked with a custom key...when it clearly is not (and has never been) locked. I tried 6 more times, tried using $FFFF key, etc. And finally on the 7th try, it finally seemed to full flash.
    Can you please send me the *.htx trace file for the failed and successful V8 flashes, thanks.
    Send to paul@efilive.com

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Can you please send me the *.htx trace file for the failed and successful V8 flashes, thanks.
    Send to paul@efilive.com

Regards
    Paul
    Email sent!

thanks again Paul

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123