Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual upshift downshift 1,2,3,4 on 4L60e without manual valve body

Default Manual upshift downshift 1,2,3,4 on 4L60e without manual valve body

Hi,
    I am trying to help a friend out with an issue, his offroad only 4x4 vehicle is running an LS1 with the 4L60e and LS1 PCM.

Ideally the auto would be set up to shift the same as a manual valve body would and I believe this can be done with the PCM by changing the speeds on the upshifts and downshifts so that they are void, making the shift totally dependent on the shifter position.

I have read one thread that elludes to this method and that it should work but has anyone done it in practice using efilive and what parameters needed changing in specific. apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I did a few searches on the 4l60e and found nothing conclusive.

Also I assume that if the auto shifts are made void then the default operation (by PCM) is to mimic shifter gear position as the gear to be selected, as a PCM decision is still needed to get and hold the gear in that position.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Test101; May 7th, 2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Title has mistakes

Hi Test101,
    You can adjust when each gear will shift up or down if selected manually. This should allow you to operate close to having a manual valve body.

You need to look at tables D0913, D0918, D0919, D0928 and D0933.

I have never tried it myself, but below is a link to a post where it is discussed.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ng-3-2-amp-2-1

Cheers
    Going places no one else dares to Go!
    60 Series Landcruiser, GenIII LS1 5.7, 4L60E Trans, 4" Stainless Snorkel
    4" Lift, 35 x 12.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains

It should work fine. Set all your upshift speeds to 0 mph (except D0913 and D0918) to 0mph, and all your downshift speeds to 256mph.

Set D0913 and D0918 to 255.

Thanks for the responses, I'll hopefully be able to test this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
    It should work fine. Set all your upshift speeds to 0 mph (except D0913 and D0918) to 0mph, and all your downshift speeds to 256mph.

Set D0913 and D0918 to 255.
    Also: except D0919 (set it same as D0913, D0918).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Also: except D0919 (set it same as D0913, D0918).
    Ah yes, I was looking at an earlier OS without those.

Hi gents,
    I had a chance to try the changes tonight, unfortunately they dont work as first thought. I sucessfully removed the ability to select 3rd and 4th based on the settings above. 1st and second were available but third and fourth were no where to be seen. I am using the BBX scan tool to clarify shifter selection, gear and solenoid states on the trans, vss etc. I have made some edits to the proposal above and have managed to get third when in third but the results are inconsistent. I'm going to spend a bit more time thinking about what has worked so far, so that I can post my findings later on. The changes made afterwards were all thumb suck guess's which were'nt consistent in results. Just to be clear on the original program the auto shifts normally and gets all gears in drive, so the issue is definitely my tuning parameters.

So have thought about this now and heres what I think has happened. Because the upshift has been set to 0mph the computer is trying to upshift every gear in selection and because the downshift is below 255mph it is trying to downshift to causing an indecision so 3rd and 4th are lost as there is no manualised selection parameter like there is for 1st and second. When I put the 2nd-> 3rd shift parameters to very low speeds to shift up and a greater than zero downshift mph value then I got third back when selecting 3rd.

After research on HPtuners. a guy has achieved manual shift by changing the speeds for shift to very low upshift and downshift mph values in the part throttle tables (<12mph in for upshift to gear, this makes sense to me as then no indecision cames about, but of course if you go below the values then it will downshift. I have a few theories on this now for dealing with part throttle tables and will post my findings after the next set of testing.

What happens when you set the 3rd and 4th gear upshift and downshift speeds to zero...?

Hi Gents. Got it working now after a lot of research and getting things clear in my own mind. First up the item of most interest was that at times you could be selecting third with the lever but only get first gear enabled and then it would not move to any other gears. For this reason I have used all very low km/hr values in the part throttle tables so that if third was selected on the lever at slow enough speeds to pull back to first, the tables give it a path to select up to 2nd and then on to 3rd. The other key difference was that I set the WOT table to enable and disable at 100% so that I dont get the effects of having to achieve an rpm and a speed for an upshift, this is undesirable in the application that I'm trying to use it for. Other than that also disabled the TCC so that it doesnt engage. Anyway hopefully this post will be of use to someone else in future, thanks for the support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast