Thread: Help wanted vehicle won t start and has no engine light prior to starting.

Default Help wanted vehicle won t start and has no engine light prior to starting.

hey guys i have a VE SSV 6ltr L98 with an E38 ECM. I ve just pulled the motor down and done some mods to heads and a new cam installed. before i pulled the motor down a mate extracted the tune for modification.

i completed the mods to the engine prior to the tune being finished. i decided to give it a start on the standard tune just to check for leaks and oil pressure. i turned the key and got a "contact dealer" alarm on the dash. the engine did not attempt to crank at all.

a few days later i got my new tune so decided to put it in, hoping that this would reset the computer and solve my problems. after a fair few attempts to install the tune we got it in. no luck. the alarm remains everytime i try to start it and we have just noticed that the engine light is not coming on prior to attempting to turn the key. whilst installing the tune we had a fair few failed "ECM connection" issues.

i have reset ECM a number of times by disconnecting the battery for 15min periods. we have updated the software also. we have also tested the software on my other car(works fine).

we have since attempted to re install the original tune with no luck. we cannot get the ECM connect at all now.

ANY IDEAS ????

Hi all I'm looking after the tune side of this one

The car is a Holden VE SS ute e38 ecm.
    Using EFI Live I tried to do a full flash and it doesn't get past the 'getting status' of the ECM stage. It does all 10 attemps. When it tries the auto detect it cant find the ecm.
    The utes display says 'Contact Dealer' and 'Stability Control Off'. Ute wont start, It doesn't even attempt to engage the starter at all. All that was done when this problem occurred was an extraction of the factory tune. Have tried to flash factory tune back in but continues to stop at getting status. Tried a few tricks like disconnection of the battery for 15+mins, checked all the fuses, downloaded the newest EFI Live software, updated the bootlog and firmware of the V2, tested the V2 on another car (Holden VY SS LS1B) and it worked fine.
    If you want more inches stroke it

Lifetime Member

Check the connections from the harness side to the ECU. In addition, please check all ground wires. If you haven't done a full reflash to the ecu with another file for another vehicle, the car shall start with no problems.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Quote Originally Posted by odd boy View Post
    Check the connections from the harness side to the ECU. In addition, please check all ground wires. If you haven't done a full reflash to the ecu with another file for another vehicle, the car shall start with no problems.
    hey guys ended up finding a loose earth connection. car now starts just needs some tuning done. thanks for the tips.

Would this be the car Jeff contacted me via Email about?
    I said to him it wouldn't be the ECM
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Would this be the car Jeff contacted me via Email about?
    I said to him it wouldn't be the ECM
    yes this is the car. it starts now but #1 ande #3 seem to have spark but are not firing. we can hear the miss fire coming back through the air filter. we followed instructions on doing a case relearn which hasn t fixed the problem.

also the car won t start without throttle. is it possible for the computer to be firing 180 degrees out??

hey guys all sorted. found 2 pushrods not seated correctly. caused back fire in manifold due to valves not fully closing.

thanks for the ideas.