Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More and more problems with V2

Lifetime Member

Thats dead poll mode which means its still alive! Open V8 S&T, then open the EFILive Control Panel. Click F6 Firmware, then click Program firmware (again). Sounds like the firmware checksum isnt correct so the V2 is defaulting to dead poll aka recovery mode.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Please let me know if Erik's suggestion above (which is what I'd also recommend) doesn't work.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Done that like 10 times to see if I could get something to work but no luck.

Lifetime Member

Try reprogramming the bootblock first, then doing the firmware after the V2 reboots following the bootblock upgrade. You might need to use EFILive Explorer to flash the bootblock again, not sure the EFILive Control Panel will let you do it again. Open EFILive Explorer, click the F12 Firmware tab, click Browse. Open the Boot Block folder, click FSBootV2_07_04.efw and press Open. Click the checkbox that says Bootblock, then click Program. Wait for your V2 to reboot. You can also program the firmware from EFILive Explorer, follow the above steps but dont go into the Boot Block folder and make sure the Bootblock checkbox is NOT checked.

Hope that helps, let us know how it goes.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Try reprogramming the bootblock first
    Unfortunately, unless the firmware is running the boot block can't be programmed. The boot block can't program itself and the firmware can't program itself. So the boot block must be running (i.e. in deadpoll with the two orange LED's flashing) in order for the firmware to be programmed. The firmware must be running (i.e. showing the normal menu options on the LCD) in order for the boot block to be programmed.

What happens when the firmware is programmed is the version number of the most recently programmed firmware is stored into the boot block's non-volatile memory. That way the boot block "knows" what the last version of firmware in the device was - even if the firmware gets erased. The boot block won't allow a version of firmware that is older then the number stored in the boot block.

This is just a guess at what might have happened...

If during the boot block upgrade, that non-volatile memory area did not get updated correctly it could hold a value like: $FFFFFFFF which is what erased flash memory is set to. That would make the version number V255.255.255 (build 255) i.e. the highest version number possible. That makes it impossible to flash any firmware into the device. The only way to fix that is to have the device reset by EFILive.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Ah I see Paul, dang it was hoping that could be a quick and easy way to recover it. Now that you mention it, that makes sense to me with regards to fw versioning.
    ~Erik~

derrickmanx1

Give me a call and I'll remotely log into your PC and see if we can fix this. I had one like this last week I was able to recover.

Guy

SoCal Diesel
    www.socaldiesel.com

EFILive-DSP5......Switch your Attitude!
    EFILive-CSP5......The Smart Way To Switch Your Cummins Tunes!
    EFILive-DSP4......Switch Your Colorado and Canyon Too!

Hey Guy,

If you can let me know how mate cause I had one (perhaps slightly different symptom) and I just could not get it recovered.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Hi Andrew,

I'll see if the same fix will work on this one and then I'll send you a summary.

Guy
    www.socaldiesel.com

To All,
    The unit was stuck in Dead Poll mode when I logged in. I used EFILive Explorer to reprogram the latest boot block, which is exactly what the unit said it already had, then reprogrammed the latest firmware, again the same version the unit displayed when we started. Success! The unit is now completely functional.

Guy
    www.socaldiesel.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast