Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Need some help (newbie alert)

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    Mike what does your cmp pid read at 1200 rpm with the new distibutor?
    Would you beleive -168.00 at 1000/1080ish RPM?
    Spark Adv shows -2.0 at that RPM.

Install is dead on. TDC #1, Balance 2 tabs aligned, Pointer to the corresponding 6 in the dizzy.
    Try the old dizzy I guess and see :(

Lifetime Member

Default Logs on dist cr sensor

Log file tht I did showing RPM, the PID for the cam sensor and the spark advance. U see even at idle usually there is some sp adv, but there really isnt any and it goes a few degees ret. The cam sensor is very off as u can see. WTH? lol
    Im at an end to my expertise here :(
    I put the old dist cam sensor into the new dist and did a second try and log. But same result as above log identical.

Gonna put old dizzy/old sensor back in. Crazy tho cause the rotor and gear seem to line up so the physical new dizzy is like the old one
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

To do the cmp test you have to hold the rpm at 1200-1250. I saw on your log you just let it idle than hit the throttle real quick. So it didnt work right. Hold it roughly 1200 or so rpm for a good 10 seconds to get a good read. Anything less than 1200 rpm, the test wont work right.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

Ok will do. But shouldnt idle RPM be more than 2* retarded anyways?

Drop in new dizzy.....is there any procedure I need to do? CASE, etc?
    I have 0 play to rotate the dizzy (old or new) on the 4.3L to 'set' the CMP centerpoint. Bolt loose and trying to rotate it gives me NIL result.
    I hear tht the L31 rotate instructions as described in the link I provided is not valid on 4.3 since the 5.7 has some adjustability built in to the base. Correct info?

Lifetime Member

New short log. Got it running again. Reinstalled the stock dizzy 3xs.
    1st time as described in manual I lined up the gear dimple with shaft housing mark and dropped in. The rotor tip faced about straight to the '6' mark inside the top of the base. Would not run.
    2nd time I rotated the gear/rotor one tooth (counterclockwise) and dropped in. Not run and had some violent pops.
    3rd time I rotated the gear/rotor one tooth (clockwise) past the 6 mark or 2 teeth (clockwise) from the 2nd time post position. the rotor tip is closer to the 6 terminal if looking at the cap from top. Runs but my log attached shows the CMPRET still high but yet not as high as it was before. My timing isnt retarded (-2 / 0 degrees) at idle any more for sure. I rev and get some advance for sure. Do I attempt one more tooth?

Seriously is there some CASE relearn Im suposed to do or can do or any type of 'setting' to correlate the sensors?

Lifetime Member

LOL I know this stuff can make you crazy, it did for me. I am reading your last post at 10:45 pm est. Tired. I will reread your info in the am. By the way there used to be a ton of the vortec guys around here, some real good guys.Hopefully they will see your thread soon. esp with the cmp issue. edit just watched your log and it seems you are not in spec.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

Get some rest man, Im still up beating my head over this crap and I am sooo tired too.

Lifetime Member

This morning I changed nothing. I started it up and it sounded fine to me but wanted to drive it since I could not last night B4 I closed the shop and had to go.
    As per my last log I was at 0* idle advance and -19* on the cmpret pid.
    Looking back at past logs I did B4 thins delima I never recorded the cmpret pid but my idle spark adv was always in the 19/20*range. So tht made me think I am still one tooth off. Being the 360 degree divided by 13 teeth on the dizzy drive gear equals 27.68
    So if I rotate another tooth, I am ard 27* more and my pointer is near the #6 terminal. Thats 7-8* higher than normal and a hellova close for comfort to the #6 terminal. But then hey, maybe the PCM corrects it. Thats one thing IDK.
    Now today I crank it and runs fine as did last night. Drive it and I have power again...yay.
    Did a log and CMPRET still shows a -19 at idle and prettymuch all RPMs for tht matter
    Yet, my idle spark Adv is now to a normal 19-20* and goes up as high as 44* around 2k RPM when sitting and revving. Well thats great, but WTH?

My last afformentioned logfile is attached. Thx for bearing with me, giving me ideas and helping me in general

Lifetime Member

Installed the new dizzy same as the old one (one tooth clockwise) and runs the same as with the old one in same position. Didnt work at all straigt in as instructed by ever manual I seen. Sux
    Log posted again. Timing shows only 10-ish at idle instead of 20ish like normal. But I found the reason. I forgot to plug my boost gauge vacc tube back on and thus had a small vaccum leak. After I stopped logging I found it, plugged in and the base adv at idle went right back to 20-ish.

Lifetime Member

Well for a week it has run great.
    Yesterday driving I had some problem I cant figure out tht was random. And today it was fine all day until this afternoon. It realy acted up. Let it sit, then it was fine :(
    The prob I noticed driving was at around 2K RPM, in 3rd and 4th gear, cruising in town at 40MPH area and very light throttle input to remain speed. The truck had a clunky feeling you could feel and hear, felt like momentun stopped for a split second a couple times in a row. I let off gas and then it stopped. This was really quick so I had no time to see gauges other than looked as if the RPMs didnt drop or move.
    Almost as if you smashed the clutch abruptly and popped it back in/out. There was a clutch clunk sound and the momentum drop. Weird eh?
    Happened randomly 4 times in past two days.

Ok so today when I was leaving my work/shop, It did it while I was coasting in 1st thru the lot. Felt like it lost power abruptly. Then as I am on the side road approaching a stops sign, coasting in 2nd, it did it violently again and this sime started to stall out. It was really like the gauges shut off also and ign turned back on. The needles reset, the idiot lights all lit including Ck Gauges and Low Fuel (tank is 3/4 full). I just filled up a few days back (Mon)

My FP Sender has been acting odd also but I tht it was bad wire terminal or sender going bad. Fixed the wires today just as a precaution and made sure they were tight. Seemed fine as they was but I rewired it anyways to inside the trk. Had no time to do anything else. Thk bad sender.
    But now I think maybe the 2 are related and a ground issue?

Ck the firewall Gnd Strap and Battery wires in the AM. But anyone see any other issue I may want to investigate?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314