Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 496 big block newbie!!

Default 2006 496 big block newbie!!

hey all!!
    just purchased efi live v2 and im looking forward to tweaking my 496.
    i know the tq management is the huge killer of these beasts, however
    i am hoping to remove the cats, install a lower temp t-stat and tune
    for premium only. headers are a lost dream due to lift kit installation
    changing the front driveshaft location. is it a waste of time and
    reliability to even mess with it? should i cam it first and then tune?
    i have installed mandrel bent 3 inch full duals through magnaflow
    muffler so it can breathe better. just reallly want to improve on this monster
    since i will be running 35 inch tires and still using it to pull extreme loads.
    any help is needed. thanks

Welcome! You should use the time before the cam installation to get used to the software and work on learning to tune - then, when you get to the cam, you'll have the basics down... Pull your tune and check it out... post it up here and ask any questions you may have... We will help as we can.
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

cool, thanks!! any specific recommendations on wideband?? brand ? placement left vs right?
    this thing has to continue to be bulletproof as it is my heavy hauler so im anxious yet frightened!! lol

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rizaptor View Post
    ... I am hoping to remove the cats ...
    Not planning on yourself or any of your descendants needing to breath oxygen, or requiring an ozone layer for UV protection ? A conscientious person would not operate an "on road" vehicle without people friendly emissions equipment in place, and operational.

... install a lower temp t-stat ...
    This topic has been discussed time and again - no real benefit to running a lower temperature thermostat in a non-competition vehicle. Also, your 8.1 L is already prone to piston rock / slap - GM redesigned these engines during their production in an attempt to address this issue. Running at a lower ECT (engine coolant temperature) has the effect of increasing the normal operating clearance between components - as these have not fully expanded - as they were designed to operate at a higher ECT.

With an 8.1 L I would recommend running the stock thermostat temperature range, with other Gen III / Gen IV engines you could run a 180 degree stat on a daily driven vehicle - but this change would also increase both engine wear and emissions output.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Not planning on yourself or any of your descendants needing to breath oxygen, or requiring an ozone layer for UV protection ? A conscientious person would not operate an "on road" vehicle without people friendly emissions equipment in place, and operational.

This topic has been discussed time and again - no real benefit to running a lower temperature thermostat in a non-competition vehicle. Also, your 8.1 L is already prone to piston rock / slap - GM redesigned these engines during their production in an attempt to address this issue. Running at a lower ECT (engine coolant temperature) has the effect of increasing the normal operating clearance between components - as these have not fully expanded - as they were designed to operate at a higher ECT.

With an 8.1 L I would recommend running the stock thermostat temperature range, with other Gen III / Gen IV engines you could run a 180 degree stat on a daily driven vehicle - but this change would also increase both engine wear and emissions output.

Regards,
    Taz
    well i would assume that you dont have a 496??? extreme heat causes extreme retard in timing. timing costs hp. as far as the convertors go, i wont even get started on the global warming kool-aid

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rizaptor View Post
    .. well i would assume that you dont have a 496??? extreme heat causes extreme retard in timing. timing costs hp ...
    Just trying to prevent engine damage ... would you rather run less ignition timing or fewer pistons ? Up to you. Have tuned the 8.1 L - if you plan on making serious power, take a look at Raylar Engines - they offer a full line of parts & engines.

... as far as the convertors go, i wont even get started on the global warming kool-aid . .
    My comment was not whether global warming or cooling actually exists, or is theory at this point. My comment was related to humans needing to breath oxygen, and children never previously requiring sunscreen / block to play outside when I was young ( a long time ago).

Moral people make moral choices ... up to you to decide what is right. However, removing emissions equipment is an offence in most areas of North America - should point toward the right choice.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Just trying to prevent engine damage ... would you rather run less ignition timing or fewer pistons ? Up to you. Have tuned the 8.1 L - if you plan on making serious power, take a look at Raylar Engines - they offer a full line of parts & engines.

My comment was not whether global warming or cooling actually exists, or is theory at this point. My comment was related to humans needing to breath oxygen, and children never previously requiring sunscreen / block to play outside when I was young ( a long time ago).

Moral people make moral choices ... up to you to decide what is right. However, removing emissions equipment is an offence in most areas of North America - should point toward the right choice.

Regards,
    Taz
    oh i whole heartedly agree with you on most, i have looked into raylar parts....big$$$$ and i think ray over-inflates his actual results a little.
    i would like to adjust timing and run premium as well as monitoring spark knock. push the limits but try and play safe. like i had mentioned, heavy hauler
    that i want to gain with

I would agree that you shouldn't change the thermostat - these engines are designed to run hotter than those of the past... If you want to run the timing and make the power - look at getting colder air into the intake - cold air kit (and not just the crap advertised as such - one that really gets cooler air in)... It has been proven over and over that you will make more power with the engine at the higher temperature. If you do insist on a thermostat, absolutely don't run any colder than a 180F... like Taz said, you will regret it...

As for the cats, why don't you get some high flow cats - they will flow more than you will ever need with this setup, and then you don't have to deal with the smell and legalities - just my opinion. If you were running something at high RPMs with a big cam, then I could see long tube headers and no cats, but not on something where you are trying to make a bunch of torque like a heavy truck. If you put longtube headers on it, I gaurantee you would lose low end torque and it would actually feel slower... Instead, I would spend the money on a cam that is tailored for the setup and what you are trying to do...
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

More torque is always a good thing. Air intake is the best one made in my opinion. Stock air box and filter.

just wanted to post up what i have so far.
    any thing to add???

06-496-mod.tun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast