Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 427 stroker turbo need help on everything

Default 427 stroker turbo need help on everything

hello everyone.
    i have a 427 stroker and a turbo mounted. i origionally had problems with my 427 tune alone without the turbo but decided i wanted more power. needless to say im new to the tuning aspect of this all iv been playing with it for awhyle but have way too much money into it to just be "playing"
    I reverted back to my origional truck tuning due to too many problems. a fresh start you could say. The origional truck is a 2005 gmc sierra, it had a 4.8l in it before. the new engine is a7.0l stroked bored ported polished oversized valves ported tb a small cam and a 78mm single turbo.
    i cant get it to proper afr at idle, it leans out under hard throttle and it falls flat on its face as soon as boost kicks in (to be expected with stock tune of course)
    Im afraid to drive it in its current state. i need help bad. There is a set of 60lb injectors on my bench for the engine but once again they need to be tuned in too. In way over my head need some good solid advice and if someone has a tune out there for my set up itd be greatly appreciated if you could send it to me, or modify it for my application.
    Im not too good with tutorials, i can read it but it doesnt sink in. goda love that disability
    thanks in advance
    Brandon
    Ps i know my punctuation is horrible in a rush to get out the door.
    Im only slightly crazy.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vff8wi00Bxk

Being the 60# injs are on the bench, I'm assuming you are still on the stock 4.8 injs?
    Are the injs rated at 60# @ 3 bar, or?
    Where did you get the injs? Ask them for the data.
    Is the fuel system set up w/ a return, adjustable regulator?
    What are you using for a pump? PSI is?
    Speed density, or MAF?

Post your tune, and the gurus can take a look.
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]

Not trying to give you a hard time, but you are asking a lot over the internet... Something of that caliber really needs to be tuned by someone who know what they are doing - in person... Do you have a wideband? Do you know how to log and make maps? For any of us to help you, you would have to be able to do that much... As stated above, the first step in a base tune would be the injectors - need the data for the 60#ers... I wouldn't even bother working on a tune with the stockers - actually, its questionable whether the 60's are gonna cut it for your setup...
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Quote Originally Posted by BLK02WS6 View Post
    Not trying to give you a hard time, but you are asking a lot over the internet... Something of that caliber really needs to be tuned by someone who know what they are doing - in person... Do you have a wideband? Do you know how to log and make maps? For any of us to help you, you would have to be able to do that much... As stated above, the first step in a base tune would be the injectors - need the data for the 60#ers... I wouldn't even bother working on a tune with the stockers - actually, its questionable whether the 60's are gonna cut it for your setup...
    Yes I know I am asking a lot. Its my only bet though, for any help in person I have to put the truck on a trailer and drive 6 hours. This is not an option right now due to my work. I do have a wideband, and I do know how to log. making maps i am un sure of.

Chuck:
    There is an areomotive 340 stealth in tank pump coming, should be in next week from summit. max 90 psi at the pump.
    The injectors are the 4.8l stock injectors, the map sensor is stock as well. I only plan to run a maximum of 8 psi boost so i didnt see any point in going two or 3 bar sensors. I am running maf I heard its easier to tune with it.

Here are the specs for the injectors. I just found out theyre 48# one thing after another! may need to borrow some matches from someone!
    Product Line: Trick Flow® TFX™ Fuel Injectors
    Part Type: Fuel Injectors
    Injector Advertised Flow Rate (lbs/hr): 48 lbs./hr.
    Injector Impedance: 12.2 ohms
    Driver Type: 12 V saturated circuit
    Overall Height (in): 2.830 in.
    Seat to Seat Height (in): 2.153 in.
    Manifold O-Ring Outside Diameter (in): 0.590 in.
    Fuel Rail O-Ring Outside Diameter (in): 0.590 in.
    Outside Diameter (in): 0.971 in.
    Injector Plug Style: Bosch/Amp-style
    Wiring Harness Included: No
    O-Rings Included: Yes
    Quantity: Sold individually.

Fuel Injector, TFX™, 48 lbs./hr., 12 V Saturated Circuit Driver

Here is the tune pretty much stock.
    427 stock tune may 19.ctd

thanks
    Brandon

I can understand the distance issue... We can try to help, but it isn't gonna be easy...

I would absolutely reconsider the MAF and 2Bar - it is way better to tune a turbo (even if only 8#) with a 2Bar and no MAF. With out going 2Bar, you are forced to command fueling under boost based only on RPM - you can't get good fueling under boost that way... It is cheap to get a 2Bar MAP sensor. The only issue you would have is that you need to get a separate IAT sensor to get rid of the MAF (the truck ones are built into the MAF). The Custom Operating System is the way to go.

You really need to get the injector situation figured out first and foremost...

Also, the file you posted above is not the tune file... that should be a .tun file.

What kind of wideband do you have?
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Ok ill order a 2 bar map asap. Any suggestions on where to get an iat sensor that will work with my truck?
    I was looking into the cos seems like some pretty cool features in there. Im running an AEM digital wideband.
    i am looking at a set of 120# low impedance fuel injectors.
    here are the specs on them

Static Flow lb/hr (n-Heptane): 111.1
    Static Flow cc/min: 1225
    Static Flow Tolerance +/-%: 4%
    Dynamic Flow (mg/pulse): 25.20
    Dynamic Flow Tolerance +/-%: 4%
    Coil Resistance Ohms: 2.2
    Spray Pattern: 3-Prong Cone
    Connector Type: Minitimer
    O-ring Type: Viton
    E85 Compatible: Yes
    Methanol Compatible: Yes

The question is high impedance or low?

427 stock.tun

thanks
    Brandon

You can get the IAT sensor from a 99-02 F-Body from GM or some auto parts stores. You need the rubber grommet to install it in the intake piping too...

High impedance are easier to tune in my opinion - I've had a hard time with lows and driver boxes. Fuel Injector Connection is a good source from what I've heard lately... They have several different models that you could use - best to call them and talk to them about your setup and plans for it... http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/

You will need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator - are you using aftermarket fuel rails and braided line?

Does you AEM have a serial out data connection? or only analog?

Are you gonna run E85? meth injection?

Get real familiar with the Custom Operating System tutorial...
    GM EFI Tuner

If you want, while you are waiting on parts, you can do steps 1 through 5 of the Custom OS upgrade tutorial and post the resulting tune up here - I can start going through it and getting some work done. You aren't running it or driving it at all now, are you?

What does this thing have in it for a transmission? I sure hope not the 4L60E...
    GM EFI Tuner

the aem has an analog out connection for the v2. I am running 1/4 inch stainless line for fuel on stock rails. Heard the stock fuel rails will work for my app but im unsure. not looking for gobs of hp but something to play with and race occasionally. no e85 or meth injection compression is 9;1 though. with 9:1:1 compression and 4 psi boost im still at 11.6:1 compression. rings are gapped more for boost as well so no worries there.
    Would this sensor work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-AX32/
    i am looking into injectors right now.
    I could probly read about the cos and flash my pcm to cos tomorrow.
    Thanx

No sir the truck is sitting quietly in the garage not bothering with it until i can turn the key and know it will be fine. Yes i have the 4l60e in it but its fully built. had the 427 in it without the turbo and ran it for 15 minutes...... took out the 3-4 gear bands and went out and bought a fully built one. Im not worried it has warranty and if it doesnt hold together i got a 80e in another older truck.
    ill get on the cos first thing tomorrow.
    Thank you BLK02WS6
    it is much appreciated.
    Brandon

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast