Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !!PLEASE HELP!! Strange Question about a Vortec in a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Does the original engine in the boat use a carb or the Gen I Vortec style intake complete with "spider" style injectors ? Is the controller a Black Box Vortec (production style) or a marine controller ?

If the engine and controller are similar to a production Gen I Vortec - then take a look at EFI Connection's website. You would need their conversion kit - either 4x CKP (which would retain your existing distributor) or their 24x CKP kit - which updates to LS1 style coils.

Not winterizing can get expensive ...

Regards,
    Taz
    I believe that it is a Gen I Vortec, but I am not sure what "spider" injectors are. There is not a distributer there is one long coil pack at the front of the motor. And yes it is very expensive!!! Thank You for the help.

Lifetime Member

Perhaps a more precise and expedient route would be to post a photo of the intake & ignition coil area, and the PCM (computer). If it is a marine PCM odds are EFILive will not be able to read / tune it.

In post #3 Slows10 mentioned perhaps using an "0411" PCM to control the engine. This would allow you to tune it with EFILive - but would constitute a PCM conversion project.

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Bet its a MEFI4 and you wont be able to use EFILive with it. You can tune the MEFI4 with some other tuning packages, but its pretty dang expensive IIRC. Much better off converting to an 0411 PCM and running a regular manual car tune.

So what exactly are you trying to do with these engines, swap the built 350 into your MasterCraft? My parents have a 99 Toyota Epic 22, its where my s/n comes from. Family friends in Idaho has a 97 MC Prostar 205 with the LT1. Where are you located?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Bet its a MEFI4 and you wont be able to use EFILive with it. You can tune the MEFI4 with some other tuning packages, but its pretty dang expensive IIRC. Much better off converting to an 0411 PCM and running a regular manual car tune.

So what exactly are you trying to do with these engines, swap the built 350 into your MasterCraft? My parents have a 99 Toyota Epic 22, its where my s/n comes from. Family friends in Idaho has a 97 MC Prostar 205 with the LT1. Where are you located?

I live near Denver,CO. Do they want to sell the motor or what are you suggesting? I would love to just have a Block to replace the one that is in the boat now that I cracked by not winterizing early enough last year. Please let me know ASAP, Thank You for your help!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mllunt View Post
    I live near Denver,CO. Do they want to sell the motor or what are you suggesting? I would love to just have a Block to replace the one that is in the boat now that I cracked by not winterizing early enough last year. Please let me know ASAP, Thank You for your help!
    I see, sorry no my friends arent trying to sell theirs I was trying to say that I have some experience with GM 5.7L engines in a MasterCraft, looking back it was not clear.

I take it you just want to get the boat up and running now, correct? Hate to say it, you might be better of trying to sell your built 350 and try to find a new or rebuilt 5.7 thats pretty stock so you can just drop it in and go. Do you have any experience with a performance shop locally to you, that might be a good place to ask. The mechanic I have in Portland, OR knows his stuff on Mercury outboards and I know he does a lot of inboard-outboard Mercruiser stuff too, maybe see if a buddy knows someone who does good work. I know the guy in Portland would love the work, but thats a pretty hefty drive to do, especially if you're ok with a stock engine.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12