Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VE and MAF Tuning

Default VE and MAF Tuning

O2 Sensors and wideband? I am doing the new twist on tuning and I seem to be having issues. It is using the ltft or wideband pid. I assume that the trims are based on the O2 readings. Under normal driving it seems that the mv from the O2 sensors are all over the place and the values are different between the sensors. At WOT it seems that they are more consistent. Shouldn't I be tuning based off the wideband only? Then I was thinking if I tune based off the wideband but the O2 sensors read differently it will be adjusting my tune anyway. I just installed new O2 sensors. The car has a 427 w/ a fairly large cam. I'm a little confused.

Bill,

Post some log files (and the calc_pids.txt file you're using).

ok, thanks. the first tune was used to create the log and the second I ran partial runs at the track. The first log is extended driving on the street and the second was the partial run at the track. the motor was actually breaking up on this run. I updated my ecm to the 2002 pcm software.0200For.tun0200For.tunLog_0001050912.efiLog_0001race1053012.eficalc_pids.txt

Also, 42 lb SVO injectors.

Thanks

Looking at the track run - you should log timing... It is pretty rich - any particular reason you are running it that rich? Looking at the timing table to see what it would have been using - the high octane table is pretty hacked up and 29 degrees is kinda high - was that verified on a dyno as being the timing that made the most power? The MAF table is a bit lumpy too - need to smooth that out...
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Lifetime Member

Why is 29 degrees hacked up? Not like you are privy to the engine build details. OP the least of your problems is your high octane table.
    Last edited by slows10; May 31st, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

As to your question get the fueling in line first. Maf and ve. Post your calc pids and get setup with either method you are going to tune with.(calcvet,autove) etc.Some of your fueling tables look like they were kinda guessed at. Which with a 427 you might have to do since not many stock tables would work with your setup.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

I see the MAF ripple from 339 g/s to 406 g/s in 0.124 seconds... the PCM may be able to handle/smooth that but it makes me a little uncomfortable.

When I originally installed my motor it was tuned by a professional tuner. Since then I added a 4" mufflex y-pipe back in place of a 3" two on the left. He did the timing tables. I never had the tune adjusted. My car's performance varies a lot. In the heat it's gone as slow as 125.5 mph but as quick as 133.3 in 52ish degree weather in the quarter mile. My basic setup is an LS7 427 block, tfs 235 heads, fast 92mm intake, 85mm maf, 1 7/8 AR headers, 12:1 compression. It's a 6 spd. Also, being in Florida it gets pretty hot.

I didn't have a wideband installed until maybe 6 months ago. I noticed that at idle my car would be really lean but at wot it would go really rich. It kind of scared me so I am trying to learn how to tune it myself with EFI Live. Joecar has helped me a lot. I'm still a beginner with this stuff but not quite as lost. I bought EFI Live when I installed my motor but just used it for gear/tire changes.

I also made changes to the injector parameters based on new information I received (initially this made the car run very lean). I have been adjusting the VE and MAF tables based on the "new twist on tuning" thread where you can adjust the MAF and VE tables. I use the log files to make adjustments but as you said it's very rich in PE mode.

Can you give me some guidance as to how I should adjust the timing table? Also, am I better off using a different method to tune? Thanks for all the help.

Lifetime Member

Is this a track car, weekend track street car? Daily driver? Seems like the tuner set it up for a track only car. Also do you know the specs on the cam? Also noticed you doing a full throttle run with coolant temp near 230f degrees.

The VE table looks odd, the maf table also needs to be smoothed like someone said earlier. The VE table is off probably because the injector's are not setup right. The timing table also looks like something in a race car with a trans brake or 2 step, defiantly not street car.
    I personally would fix the injector data and start over with a stock ve, maf, and timing table and go from there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast