Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VE and MAF Tuning

I saw weatherman had a base tune for a 6 speed w/ cam. Would that be a good one to use? thanks

Lifetime Member

I gotta say , I thought about the weatherman just a few hours back. And I miss that guy here alot. A no nonsense type of guy that could back up what he said every time. He never bragged how good he was at actually knowing how to tune.Was he capable of tuning an 8 second car that would not stall at the burnout box? LOL course he was. HE would make sure you understood how an efi engine worked 3 times before he would get on someones case. If you still did not get it, he would say it is time for that person to go back to basic training. I just wanted to say that I miss that guy. And you would be much better off reading his material than going by somebody who says they have done it all, and really never understood how the actual dynamics of an engine work esp when the log is staring them right in their face. Its the same old thing over and over on these forums. Most of the guys that say they tune, could not rebuild a lawn mower engine, therefore can never tune an efi engine. Good luck bill you will figure it out. It is the typical tuner that thinks an engine with a carb is really that different than an efi engine.Good grief, it is just an internal combustion engine.
    Last edited by slows10; June 1st, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLK02WS6 View Post
    Guess I look at it differently too - I have tuned many track cars and there is no reason to hack tables up just cause it isn't driven on the street (which his is). To me, there is nothing more embarassing than an 8 or 9 second car that stalls in the waterbox, or can't be driven smoothly around the pits to tech in or back the return road... Maybe I'm just a perfectionist, but I just don't see a reason to ever create tables like that... just my opinion...
    Great to have your opinion. Your a perfectionist in your opinion. If you dont like my opinion, feel free to pm me.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill00Form View Post
    Should I go back to the stock spark table or does someone have a better one that I could use? Thanks
    I would start with a stock 2002 timing table from OS#12212156. Its a good table to start from.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I would start with a stock 2002 timing table from OS#12212156. Its a good table to start from.
    That s probably good advice.

Thanks for all the help. I have read a fair amount of the stuff on tuning but if you have no reference (knowledge) or no one to talk to it's a little tough. Also, much of it's very old and there just trying to figure things out and then there are all these different ways of doing the same thing. I think I'm slowly learning at least some of this stuff. Hopefully, I'm not ennoying some of you too much. I am surprised EFI Live doesn't build a little bit more into there software so it's a little more automated or have it so you can purchase modules. I'm sure many of you have heard that Holley's system is self tuning but it has it's own electronics and you have to rewire so much including guages.

I did figure out a few things. When I updated to the 2002 ECM software I changed the rev limiter but there was another table that limits rpm by gear that I missed. This was set at 6,200. That is probably why I thought my car was breaking up. Also, I forgot to change the fan settings which was why it was so hot.

I looked at my original tuned file and verified that the only VE values that were changed from the 2000 factory values were fom 400 to 2,000. Those amounts were multiplied by 4 or 5 factors of factors. I wondered why the MAF RPM threshold was set at 2,000. So I guess the tune was primarily done by changing the MAF table and timing.

Can someone confirm to force open loop I just adjust temperature enable to a high temperature and copy high octane timing info to the low octane table? Thanks

B4205....max that out and you'll be in OL. If your wanting to go Speed Density (SD) then you'll need to copy high oct to low oct and fail the MAF.

Thanks

Yes, we miss WeahemanShawn; his wife recently got the Camaro to pass smog and she's driving it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast