Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning the LS2 in my Trailblazer SS - ECM and TCM?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

We have deliberately not made a decision on the TCM/ECM licensing issue. The license mechanism has not been implemented yet and we are still evaluating a number of different options. We would like to hear comments from customers on what you would consider a reasonable licensing scheme.

From a customer point of view TBSS summed it up nicely and that post makes perfect sense.
    But from a research and development, cost justification point of view, when the TCM is separate from the PCM, the effort involved in setting up and maintaining the software, calibrations and bootloaders for both controllers is significantly higher.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Split it up. Take the customer views as well as the research into consideration. Make vehicles with a TCM instead of use 2 licsenses, use 1, but that license is $150. You guys get alittle for your efforts and the customer isn't paying for two licenses. Just an idea.

Which vehicles have this type of setup? Is it LS2 vehicles or CAN bus vehicles or what? What determines when the functions get split up - is there a rhyme or reason to it?

GM is moving this way with most V8 vehicles.
    Probably comes down to computing power (or lack of) and having a standard TCM that can be configured for many platforms using the same trans.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

One idea

1a. Flashscan ships with 2 engine tuning licenses and 1 tcm licence. The tcm licence can only be used with a vin recorded in the cable with a matching modified bin for the ecm.

1b. Same idea but the 1 tcm license cost is reduced by X dollars on new orders instead of shipping with it for free. Any additional tcm work requires a full license

2. After that if you want to play you've got to pay!

3. You guys have to make enough to keep the updates free after all

4. Nothing you can do will stop the whining from the few the loud and the petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Black02SS
    I can't speak for Ross, but I personally have no issues paying more to tune the TCM on newer models because you have think of the time and research it takes to find thinigs in the TCM. Remember, it is separate and will require the same (I think) development as the PCM's have.
    I can't speak for Ross either, but he and Paul have always been MORE than fair. They continually update FlashScan and don't charge for it, they provide tuning for 1997-98 without requiring a license, they added Duramax tuning and didn't charge for it. You can rest assured that whatever they decide regarding future development will be extremely well done and fairly priced.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

I agree, Paul and Ross have always been beyond fair with us customers.

What was the final decision on this ? Do we have a product for a TBSS yet ? If so, what is the pricing needed ? I know the upgrade discount window ends tomorrow and I need to make a decision.

Also, I am hearing rumors that the LBZ tuning is in Beta stages. Will this require V2, or can I do it with my V1 ? I have been saving my other V1 license to tune my LBZ, but if I need to upgrade to do so I would like to know now.

Thanks

Tim.
    Last edited by Extinct; November 19th, 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Extinct
    What was the final decision on this ? Do we have a product for a TBSS yet ? If so, what is the pricing needed ? I know the upgrade discount window ends tomorrow and I need to make a decision.

Also, I am hearing rumors that the LBZ tuning is in Beta stages. Will this require V2, or can I do it with my V1 ? I have been saving my other V1 license to tune my LBZ, but if I need to upgrade to do so I would like to know now.

Thanks

Tim.
    On a V2 cable one license covers both the TCM and ECM in 1 vehicle. I believe that you will need V2 for the LBZ as most 2006/07 vehicles are CAN based which requires V2.

Ira

I will be happy to rid the tqmgt I don't care what it cost!
    04 kids ages 5-8-13-17 mabye more? hope not!
    03 toy box's 300+ rwh toys in each
    01 wife with 07 TBSS LS2 6.0 my pmt.
    01 pretty nice house my wife wanted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12