Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil life

Sorry guys I don't know. Certainly if this was an LB7 then we'd say the ECM has had a malfunction because oil life monitoring issues are a problem for that ECM, but on an LMM I don't know.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Joecar,
    After reading your reply several times including oil life @ 10,000 miles in the tune could that be the cause?
    Like I think you said oil life should have nothing to do with the tune, I agree.

The only thing that I can think of with the tune is that it thinks 'something' is going to degrade the oil life considerably, but, I'm sure Duramaxtuner will say that there was nothing out of the ordinary with this LMM compared to the 100's of LMM's he tuned in the past, so again, not sure what to make of it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I know it's not like this happens a lot and only to a few but it is disappointing having it happen.
    It makes me wonder if there is a actual problem somewhere that might show up later on, because I don't have this issue with my Quadzilla.
    I put my Quad back in last month for 2 weeks and it was back to normal, then I put my EFI back in and its back to the oil life dropping fast.
    I do appreciate the replies,
    I did e-mail one person 3 wks ago asking if any new info or a fix was available but never got a reply.
    I know if I did not speak up and ask others I would never find out anything.
    Last edited by RVDAN; June 13th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

This may be a stupid question, but does the AUTOCAL full flash the ECM when it is installed? He states he has a QUAD on it now, so maybe the spade is doing a cal flash and there is something lingering in the ECM from the QUAD that is causing it. I know the BOSCH ECM is pretty QUIRKY to say the least from my experience, so maybe it is an issue with his QUAD not going back to a true stock tune. Then when the modded tune is put in there is a QUAD file still in there messing up the oil life calculations.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

I know of at least 3 people now that this happens to, but this is the first tuner they have had, all have the LMM and all have had only EFI.
    Last edited by RVDAN; June 14th, 2012 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but does the AUTOCAL full flash the ECM when it is installed? He states he has a QUAD on it now, so maybe the spade is doing a cal flash and there is something lingering in the ECM from the QUAD that is causing it. I know the BOSCH ECM is pretty QUIRKY to say the least from my experience, so maybe it is an issue with his QUAD not going back to a true stock tune. Then when the modded tune is put in there is a QUAD file still in there messing up the oil life calculations.
    You mentioned something interesting so I called Quad they do NOT make any changes to the oil life, they only stick to the actual tuning.
    So could the changes EFI do with the oil life be the cause of this happening, I think it would be something to at least look into.
    I know it only happens to a few but in my opinion it would be worth the effort to check this out.
    Last edited by RVDAN; June 14th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RVDAN View Post
    You mentioned something interesting so I called Quad they do NOT make any changes to the oil life, they only stick to the actual tuning.
    So could the changes EFI do with the oil life be the cause of this happening, I think it would be something to at least look into.
    I know it only happens to a few but in my opinion it would be worth the effort to check this out.
    Just because they say they don't make changes to it, doesn't mean it doesn't inadvertantly happen. The BOSCH ECM is fairly quirky it seems, ESPESCIALLY once it has been tuned by a boxed tuner. Just throwing out an idea that may lead to some more revelations into this.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by RVDAN View Post
    I called Quad they do NOT make any changes to the oil life, they only stick to the actual tuning.
    I think the thing to understand here is you can't really change the oil life monitor directly through tuning. It's a system GM developed where it monitors engine operating conditions to determine how fast the oil is going to deteriorate. I don't know the absolute specifics on what it monitors but lets assume if the engine is run for long idle periods in 110 degree temps, then does some high load (towing) it would probably determine the oil life is going to be shorter than if you had been cruising on the highway in 70 degree weather at 60 MPH with minimal load.

I think as a process of elimination I would put your stock tune back in the ECM (with the DPF stuff sorted out or you'll be in limp mode), just to see if the problem still happens. If it doesn't then Nick can maybe start a process of elimination as to what modified table might be causing the problem. It might also be an issue with the ECM thinking the DPF is blocked causing high soot levels.

I have already tried what you suggested it works like its suppose to, I have not towed since Nov 2011 the same daily driving habits no long idling maybe 2-3 min in the winter since I bought this truck 5 yrs ago.
    I bought my first ever EFI in March 2012, I took out my Quad out and installed my new EFI.

I do want to thank all of you with all of your input and suggestions
    Until I posted on this forum I was getting no where.
    Last edited by RVDAN; June 18th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast