Thread: Transmission Tuning Help/Tips/Tricks

Default Transmission Tuning Help/Tips/Tricks

I haven't been seeing a lot of this, but maybe I've missed it. If there is a thread about this please post links.

Anybody care to share their experiences on transmission tuning? Any tips for how and what to change?

I've tried multiple things, but right now I've basically copied over tow/haul 3rd and 4th gear shifting and tcc lock-up to regular settings, and lowered the RPMs by 50-100 for the shifting and lock-up. My plan was to raise the actual tow/haul shift settings into 4th to at least 55-60 mph for towing, but still haven't gotten around to everything.

How do you guys change lock-up or shift speeds in the tune? I tried changing throttle percent in the main tables, but found actually changing the axis defined points at the exact lock-up speeds gets done what I want it to do, at least for now. Like say it has 1799 and 1800 as axis defined right next to each other, which is where it would lock-up at 20% throttle, I just lowered it to say 1749 and 1750 on the axis defined and left the throttle percent in the main tables as is.

I feel like the axis defined have to be modified a lot for transmission tuning or is that not the case if I learn to do it correctly?

Also, what do I have to modify to lock-up 2nd? It locks up in 2nd when I have my shifter on 2, but in the tune it says I have to modify something for it to lock up with the tune, and pretty sure I've confirmed that in an attempt to lock up 2nd.
    '06 2500 Cummins 4x4, Billet Trans, Airdog 150, working on tuning with EFI Live!

Subscribed, I am also interested in this. I don't know were to start with the trans tune.
    06' Dodge 2500 QCSB 4X4:
    Firepunk Comp 2 trans, Fleece Holset cheetah, tuned by Silverbullet tuning.

I've had good luck just ever so slightly raising governor pressures at the shift points and slightly bumping up the TTVA angles.

As for locking up the convertor in 2nd, it's impossible with a stock valvebody as it has no path for fluid flow in that gear.
    EFI Live - The Smarter way to tune!
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4

I thought it locked up when I have my shifter in 2 so I thought it would work somehow still.. I guess not then. Thanks for the heads up though.

Any way a shift enhancer messes with my tuning? I got one put it when I got my transmission built, but not that I really care for it.

I'm actually pretty happy with my light throttle shift points, but wish it would downshift easier when I step on it. Seems to wait so long until it builds up a lot of boost and then a really hard downshift! Guess I need to mess with the TTVA angles?
    '06 2500 Cummins 4x4, Billet Trans, Airdog 150, working on tuning with EFI Live!

Have you changed the kickdown throttle percent parameter?
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4

I dropped them about 10, but probably still not enough yet.. might try a little more? I probably just need to get my head into it more and do more testing...

I have my kickdown enable set to 68 and the disable set to 63.
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4

I will try that and see how it works.

Right now when towing I often manually control my O/D lock-up. I've thought about putting that to where I'd like it better, but not even sure if I would prefer that over manually controlling it.

I know that this is kind of an old thread but I am wondering about this myself. I did a 06 5.9 /48re swap into an excursion. My work truck is an 06 dodge cummins. I asked my brother about this a while ago ( he builds 48re's) he said that the trans is capable of locking up in 2nd and a stock truck will do it in a transmission overheating condition. about 3 months ago I got myself into an overheating condition doing alot of backing uphill with a loaded trailer, luckily it was just as I took off to leave after unloading that the idiot light came on. when I did leave the truck definately locked up in 2nd.