Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chev/Holden 1.4L Cruze E85 FlexFuel Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by scdyne View Post
    Did you have to re-pin the connectors or is it a direct replacement?
    The electrical connections are the same, it plugs straight in.
    Just do a Google Images search for "Bosch Green giant" and you'll see what they look like.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Yea, I know what the green giants look like, I just didn't know about the Cruze stock injectors. The image is a little blurry to make out what connector type the Cruze injectors are.
    Good deal..
    -Adam Chant
    Tune it or lose it!
    2007 Saturn SKY 2.4L Automatic - E67
    EFILive Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by scdyne View Post
    The image is a little blurry to make out what connector type the Cruze injectors are.
    Yes, sorry about that, it pays to check what setting the camera is on before taking the photo
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

My 2002 dyna lowrider (modified a bit with a 124" vtwin) puts out almost more power on one cylinder(1905 technology)than a cruze does on 90+ cubic four cylinder engine. I would love to run a cruze 1.4 turbo against a mid to late 90's 2.2 ln2,LD9 file in a car 800 lbs heavier. Boost you ready to run? Just dont want to see people get goofy thinking a 1.4 cruze can actually be dangerous. It is thinking like this that gave 1.8 honda owners with a Fart can muffler their ultimate demise. Dont forget gas prices are soon to be the lowest they have been in quite some time in the Usa.
    Last edited by slows10; June 22nd, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

Lifetime Member

With this engine running on e85, is 200 hp possible? That would be over 2 hp per cubic inch. What is the redline on this engine?
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

I would gladly run you any time, although I never thought my Cruze was dangerously fast. It's tuned to 190 hp now, and it's around a 15.5 second 1/4 mile, at best, lacking. Somehow today I sort of kept up with a race between a SRT-8 Jeep and a boosted Duramax from 60-95 - the 1.4t has an interesting power-band and has its moments, but at 3200 lbs, well very limited. What I DO think is cool that (imo) it is a high tech and efficient engine and we are maintaining 30+ mpg in the city while it scoots around town smoothly occasionally hitting 20 psi boost well below 3k RPM. It is also a very good looking vehicle, and consistently gets the best economy in comparisons, although others are also quick to criticize it and point out its shortcomings. It will be interesting if GM will at all respond to the 252 hp Focus ST, the Sonic RS at 138 hp will not hold a candle, neither a diesel Cruze. Direct injection would have been nice in the 1.4 but would have driven the price up, and everyone dreams of a beastly 2.0t Cruze but it has not happened.

The point is, the 1.4t is the second most responsive vehicle I have ever tuned, after the Duramax. I can easily pick up 40 hp and for the size that is a big %. It is also a bit lacking stock and a very popular car so there may be a great market for an attitude improvement. Remember that despite the promise of cheap gas, GM gets brownie points from the government / EPA for 40 mpg cars so we can "save the planet" while producing cars like the ZL-1.

I love the 1.4t and I love tuning it. And we just started...
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

The rev. limiter is 6500. Allegedly, a supposed GM engineer claims the engine was tested to 7500 RPM, but lowered for reliability. A person in a race application with an upgraded turbo pulls hard to and above 7k. But most importantly, this was designed to operate at low RPM so the cams and turbo make power only to a little above 5k.

Lifetime Member

Thanks for the detailed reply. I dont think an old turbo 2.2 LN2 is dangerous either.But 300 hp could be done with one. 190 hp out of 1.4 is good. Does the ecm limit boost in these? Is 20 psi the limit? Any interest from the aftermarket such as producing cams etc for them? My mindset is that 1.4 is just to small a displacement in a four cylinder. Maybe with continued support 250 hp will become attainable with these engines without sacrificing reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I dont think an old turbo 2.2 LN2 is dangerous either.But 300 hp could be done with one. 190 hp out of 1.4 is good. Does the ecm limit boost in these? Is 20 psi the limit? Any interest from the aftermarket such as producing cams etc for them? My mindset is that 1.4 is just to small a displacement in a four cylinder. Maybe with continued support 250 hp will become attainable with these engines without sacrificing reliability.
    You're welcome, and I agree completely. Yes the ECM does limit and control boost. As a matter of fact, it varies the commanded boost in order to create the requested torque factoring in the conditions. 20 psi is not the limit, I have run 23 and I am sure that 25 is not an issue at all. It will soon after run out of efficiency due to its size. It willingly makes the high boost as you up the numbers, with completely stock intake and exhaust. Intake temps are an issue. I have no doubt that with ethanol (via injectors), full intake and exhaust, a huge intercooler and the stock turbo @ 25 psi, we have around 250 hp. They say the trans. is good for around 180 hp, as rated on a different application. Unfortunately, I will likely be the test mule for that as mine runs around daily with a little over that. My heart hopes that it is underrated somewhat. The reported early failures have not been power related and there have been none reported. The manual is lighter and sporty but the clutch is weak. Most of us run the auto since it is tune-able and better for boost and gearing.

(sorry to hijack thread, back to project?)

Just dont want to see people get goofy thinking a 1.4 cruze can actually be dangerous.
    If people look at the Cruze as GM's WRX or Evo, then they've been bedazzled by the Turbo badge. I haven't driven a 1.8L Cruze, but I am told they are very average, too small an engine for what is a heavy car. The 1.4T make sense, small enough when off boost to get exceptional fuel economy (makes GM look good), but when on boost it gives enough kick to make the car fun to drive for 99% of it's owners.

With this engine running on e85, is 200 hp possible? That would be over 2 hp per cubic inch. What is the redline on this engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    The rev. limiter is 6500. Allegedly, a supposed GM engineer claims the engine was tested to 7500 RPM, but lowered for reliability. A person in a race application with an upgraded turbo pulls hard to and above 7k. But most importantly, this was designed to operate at low RPM so the cams and turbo make power only to a little above 5k.
    With the little bit of extra boost I dropped the limiter on mine to 6200RPM. Like Roland said, it was designed to make it's peak torque as low as possible in the RPM band and that is what the people tuning them have been trying to achieve. If in tuning you can add another 50 lb-ft of torque from 2,000RPM up the car is going to be so much nicer to drive. I think E85 is going to be the key to those wanting to push the engines peak power as far a possible, they seem to be too knock limited on even the best premium gas, even though they are only 9.5:1 compression once you start getting the bigger boost numbers out here they can only get away with a few degrees total at WOT (at least on our fuel).
    I know there is more left in the tune via upping the max boost, but so far I've been playing around mainly with spark timing whilst on 45% ethanol. I have seen a rise in calculated torque (which seems pretty accurate) up to 183 lb-ft from 150 lb-ft at 4,000 RPM and that was just on 14.5 psi of boost, Roland is running up to 20 psi on he's. In comparison, GM's 3.0L SIDI V6 makes 212 lb·ft @ 5800. I find myself often saying 'for a 1.4L toy engine, it goes great'.

So in summary, no we don't think these are the hot rodding future, but for a daily driver as an alternative to taking your ZL1 to work in a snow storm, they can't be faulted.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast