Thread: VATS patch didn't apply on a customer ECM, can I remotely full flash an E38 with AC?

Default VATS patch didn't apply on a customer ECM, can I remotely full flash an E38 with AC?

I have an e38 I sent to a customer and I swear I fully flashed it to apply the vats patch and then even re-read the tune back in to confirm it showed the patch was applied. But I can't go back and double check that now with the ECM because the customer is 10 states away So with the autocal can I do another full flash to confirm the VATS patch gets applied or are we out of luck and he'll have to send the ECM back.

I am reasonably confident his vehicle won't start due to the VATS patch not being applied because he says he isn't getting fuel to the injectors when he cranks over the engine and that seems to be a classic sign of the VATS patch not being applied in my own vehicle last year. Some people say their engine starts for a couple of seconds and then shutsdown with the VATS patch not applied but in my case the engine would never start until it was.

Thank you for any info on how to help him remotely. we'll loose a week plus shipping the ecm back and forth :(

Lifetime Member

Does he have an AC already? Yes, V2/AC/V8 can full flash E38s, load up a tune file and save it for remote flashing.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

On the later model cars VATS can disable cranking as well, it depends on the platform, but if the starter is controlled via the ECM then the engine won't even crank.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thank you both for the great information. in this case it turns out all 8 injectors were clogged and he used sea foam to free them up. I am somewhat surprised all 8 would be clogged but I guess I shouldn't be. I am very happy to know I can do a full reflash of an ECM down the line with an AC if I need to. Can you assign an ECM you have never tuned with the full software/flashscan 2 to the auto cal remotely or you have to at least flash it/license it once first with the full Flashscan II/EFI tune software?

Lifetime Member

Yes, you can setup the AutoCal to automatically link itself by using the EFILive Control Panel and selecting the "Can self-assign" checkbox. I am not 100% sure how this process works though.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.