Thread: What 4-cylinder engine can I get in the UK?

Default What 4-cylinder engine can I get in the UK?

I've got a Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer that has an air-cooled 4-cylinder 2.5ltr petrol (gas) engine. I'd like to convert it to EFI as both carbs (whatever they are? ) are damaged beyond economic repair and thought since I already had the EFILive V2 hardware for my LS1, I could use it for the conversion. I really only need a PCM, harness and 4 injectors - it's not possible to re-engine, unfortunately.

Is it possible to reprogram a V8 PCM to 4 cylinders (don't know if it's the same computer with different software)?

What suitable vehicles are there that I might find in the UK? I've looked at the list of supported gas engines, but they're mostly models that you only get in the USA
    EFILive Flashscan V2
    2002 LS1
    Firmware: 2.07.09
    Bootblock: 2.07.01

I am running 2 4 cylinder engines off a 1220411 PCM (2002 Vintage Camaro/truck) using a camaro cal. One is a Honda Fit 1.5 and the other is a Suzuki Twin Cam 1.3. They both run fine, no one would ever know they are running a GM computer system. Get yourself a 24X reluctor wheel, fab up a mount for it and the associated crank sensor. Turn off the codes for the unused cylinders (usually every other one in the firing order of the V8) and go to town. Beings you are using an air cooled engine, coolant temp will be an issue, I would try using oil temps and tune the cold start table accordingly.
    I know I have just touched the tip of the iceberg here, but it is relatively straight forwards to wire the PCM for a 4 cylinder!
    Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Thanks, Mike! For a moment I thought you were using the PCM to run both engines at once

Can the PCM run off different reluctor wheels (is this the same as a trigger wheel?) as I'm currently using a 36-1 wheel (I've got MegaJolt ignition fitted)

I'll also have to see whether it's cheaper to buy a new PCM in the UK or MegaSquirt as reluctant to rip all the wiring out of my V8!