Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
So it would appear they took the easy/lazy route of just letting the knock learn factor correct for the change in fuel spec. It will certainly work, it's just not necessarily "optimal". The upside is that simply putting in 98RON will give you free power without a reflash locally. If they had remapped the high octane spark table for 91RON, you would not get all the benefit from adding premium fuel without a reflash.
Yeah I can see the GM line of thinking on this, but I think the low table is still to high for our 91RON and the High is too High for 98RON. They almost needed to do a crude select all and drop 3 or 4 degrees on both tables. I say that because I've heard of audible knocking on Aussie Cruze's, now surely if it's at the point of audible knock the scaler has already biased to the low table 100% and has nowhere to go. In fact they tend to knock the worst at part mid throttle, not WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
This is likely the line of constant turbocharger shaft speed. The turbo manufacturer will recommend a max speed limit for their wheel (under warranty) and this results in limited boost at high engine speed even with a constant wastegate DC. Cranking the wastegate duty cycle up at high engine speed should allow for constant (or even increasing) boost at higher RPM, at the expense of higher turbo speeds and potentially reduced life. The "good" solution here is usually to just put a slightly bigger turbo on there.
Well, there's no plans for that on this Cruze, but I do agree that is the best solution, but to be honest, living in the speed camera capital of the world winding this thing up isn't going to happen too often.