Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 LMM DSP5 switch not working.

Default 2008 LMM DSP5 switch not working.

I hope I posted this in the correct place. I could use some help please, I can
    not for the life of me get my DSP5 switch to work. I installed the switch and
    then did a full flash of my DSP5 tune. I wanted to check the DSP5 switch to make
    sure it's working so I hooked up the V2 and ran the scan tool and checked the
    PIDs. The DSP switch voltage is at 4.98 volts and the DSP Tunes reads NonDSP.
    Neither the voltage changes nor does the NonDSP change when I move the DSP5
    switch from one position to another.

I know I have the red wire in the ECM connector in the correct place (I took a picture of where I installed it at and had it verified by somebody that knows a lot more than me about this) and to
    remove the black wire out of the equation I ran it to the firewall and grounded
    it there. I've pulled the ECM connector out several times making sure the red
    wire was seated in all the way, I even used a paperclip to make sure it was
    seated down into the connector. I know the LMM switch pins on the switch wires
    are "keyed" and go into the connector one way and I've installed them in the
    correct way.

The V2 is up to date as far as updates goes. I Ohmed the switch and the Ohms
    read:

I did a continuity check of the switch at the black wire to ground and the black
    wire is grounded. I've even pulled the ECM connector off the ECM and then stuck
    two sewing machine needles inside the ECM connector one on one side one on the
    other where the red wire goes into the connector and did a continuity check and
    that checked out ok.

When I ran the switch install and every time I've messed
    with anything concerning the switch I've always unhooked both batterys.
    My DSP5 tune was made by a very well know person in the EFILive business but he's
    not been any help helping me figure this mess out. I've spent hours trying to
    figure this out on my own, I'm frustrated and not a happy camper and feel I've
    wasted good money on something that's not working. Sorry this has been so long
    winded and I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Lifetime Member

First have you updated the software and V2 bootblock and firmware to the latest public release versions?
    If so post the V7.5 and V8 as well as the boot block and firmware on the Flashscan V2.

Next read the tune off the ECM. One cannot fully read a DSP5 tune out of an ECM but you should be able to determine the OS version from the summary page to verfiy the tune flashed.

Next open the tune in the V7.5 EFILive tune app. Confirm the OS version and post that.

Next you did do a Full Flash which would take about 10 minutes to do on and LMM Bosch ECM. Does that sound correct.

Next post the pic of the plug you did so we can confirm it is correct.

Which pin location are you told to be in?

Also the new pin is sticking as far through as the other pins?

When you remove the connector verify the pin is still sticking through fully.

If the switch is working fine as from an ohm meter then it is either the ground is not making a good connection. The pin is in the wrong location. The pin is not fully inserted. The tune flashed to the ECM is not a DSP tune. Last is if all is correct then the ECM is possibly bad but only related to that pin.

Brian
    2007.5 GMT-900 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC/LB LTZ 4x4 Summit White.
    With the LMM Duramax 365hp/660tq, MW7 Allison 1000 6-speed
    EFILive LMM DSP5 Settings, 500HP, 450HP, 400HP,Tow with Turbine Brake, and Stock HP.

UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN - Remember if you want to play you got to pay.

Hello Brain thanks for the reply. Yes everything is up to date on the V2:

Boot Block
    2.07.04 Dec 12, 2011

Firmware
    2.07.35 Jun 22, 2012

I know the ECM is flashed with the DSP5 tune because it has a loud buzzing sound like a fire alarm going off for a good second when I turn the truck off (which I can't stand), none of my other tunes have this stupid buzz to them. I complained about this to the guy that wrote the tunes for me but it fell on death ears. Plus the tuner wrote the DSP5 file as a .ctz file and that's the only .ctz file I have to flash to the ECM. I also have to use EFILive V8 Scan And Tune with this DSP5 file to flash the ECM with, all my other files can be flashed with 7.5. And yes it takes a good while to flash the DSP5 tune to my truck. As it's dark outside now I can take more pictures and post them up in the morning if you need something else.

I've enclosed a picture of where the red wire is installed. The pin looks to be fully seated to me I inserted the red wire into pin hole #46. My truck only has 7500 miles on it I surely hope that part of the ECM isn't bad but I guess stranger things have happened.

Thanks once again for the reply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red wire in the ECM connector.JPG 
Views:	4451 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	13506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boot Block Firmware.jpg 
Views:	946 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	13507  

I assume because there is a small and large connector you inserted the pins in in the large connector and not the smaller of the two.

Have you tried, as a test, during your troubleshooting swapping the ecm into another LBZ or LMM with a working DSP5 switch in it to check the functionality of the ecm in a known/working DSP5 tuned truck.

I have to assume that if you were to try the ecm switch funtionality in another vehicle by scanning/logging the DSP5 "V" or "Tune" Pid and it works and then it doesn't in this particular truck then you have either an incorrectly installed switch and or faulty power/ground connection.

When I troubleshoot I try to rule out the immediate simple stuff, log it first, if it doesn't work then swap it into a known working DSP5 tuned/switch installed LBZ or LMM vehicle and see if it then does work, if it still doesn't switch you ruled out the switch, if it does you know for a fact it's the switch, either way you will have a quick answer.

Good Luck
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Hello thanks for the reply. Yes I installed the pins in the larger of the 2 connectors. I don't know anybody locally to test my ECM with in their truck. I would think if EFILive 7.5 sees 4.98 volts at the switch that at least the red wire has to be inserted and working properly. I'm including a picture where I ran the ground wire from the switch to the firewall. I'm an electrician by trade so I know a little about wiring although automobile wiring can be a very different animal. I'm sure whatever is wrong with this whole DSP5 switch ordeal is something simple it usually always is but I'm really close to throwing in the towel on this. Posting my troubles here in the forum is pretty much my last resort. Thanks once again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black wire DSP5 Ground.JPG 
Views:	6828 
Size:	624.2 KB 
ID:	13511  

Your pin isn't seated completely, use a safety pin and push in further.

Only other option is your pin is in the wrong slot.

I'm voting push it in more. LBZ and LMM don't like to seat fully.

Thanks for the reply but I did use a small straightened out paper clip to push the pin deeper into the ECM connector to make sure it was seated when I first started this DSP5 adventure, because I've read that LMM ECMs can be a bit of a bear to work with. I can't see how it can be in the wrong slot when the EFILive tutorial instructions say Pin 46 next to the tan wire.

LBZ & LMM
    Signal = Connector 1 (the larger plug), pin 46, (next to Grey wire-LBZ,Tan wire-LMM).

The pin is in nice and tight I can't pull it back out when gently tugging on it. I found a tutorial on how the build a DSP5 switch for under $9.00, I may just order some parts up and build my own as I'm out of options. The hardest part will be getting the connector pins Tray #19 1928498135. I hope my local dealer has some in stock. Thanks all once again.

Quote Originally Posted by drthv8r View Post
    Thanks for the reply but I did use a small straightened out paper clip to push the pin deeper into the ECM connector to make sure it was seated when I first started this DSP5 adventure, because I've read that LMM ECMs can be a bit of a bear to work with. I can't see how it can be in the wrong slot when the EFILive tutorial instructions say Pin 46 next to the tan wire.

LBZ & LMM
    Signal = Connector 1 (the larger plug), pin 46, (next to Grey wire-LBZ,Tan wire-LMM).

The pin is in nice and tight I can't pull it back out when gently tugging on it. I found a tutorial on how the build a DSP5 switch for under $9.00, I may just order some parts up and build my own as I'm out of options. The hardest part will be getting the connector pins Tray #19 1928498135. I hope my local dealer has some in stock. Thanks all once again.
    Push in with safety pin further. Paperclip didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TDFDiesel View Post
    Push in with safety pin further. Paperclip didn't work for me.
    OK I'll try that in the morning thanks.

Lifetime Member

Correct location. I agree not fully seated for starts. As for the pin that number I believe has been changed since most likely a new maker of the pin for GM. Lowest bidder as usually. Most have a hard time finding tray #19 because it actually never was in their rack. Just a cardboard box to the side usually. If it was connected you should be able to read 5 volts off pin 46. Now for the buzzing sound I suspect that maybe you have turbo braking in the tune and is in the base tune as well. I feel they may have it sit to 100% in the vane set point in a low RPM range below idle or actually near zero. Just a guess on that without hearing it. Possible the vane sensor is out of adjustment or bad but this idea I am not sure if it could be the cause.

Brian
    2007.5 GMT-900 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC/LB LTZ 4x4 Summit White.
    With the LMM Duramax 365hp/660tq, MW7 Allison 1000 6-speed
    EFILive LMM DSP5 Settings, 500HP, 450HP, 400HP,Tow with Turbine Brake, and Stock HP.

UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN - Remember if you want to play you got to pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast