Thread: Noob First time tuning question

Default Noob First time tuning question

I'm looking at doing my first tune, but after doing quite a bit of reading and head scratching, i'm a little lost on where to start. I have a 2008 Chevy C4500 Kodiak truck with an 8.1 Gas engine (first problem there, I know) and id like to get some more power out of it. One thing to note, I do have an LC-1 wideband connected to it, but didnt log anything yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can start by reading the scantool/tunetool pdf user manuals.

Then find out which PCM/ECM your vehicle has and read the appropriate tutorial (LS1B: AutoVE, Calc.VET; E38/E67: VVE).

Already read through them, that's where the confusion started. Ive actually been using the efilive v2 for about 3 years now for diagnostic purposes, but like I said this will be my first time tuning. The ECM is an LS1B and the TCM is an A40, and i read both of them, and saved copies to revert to. But where do I go from there? I started the AutoVE, but I don't really see that changing anything, as the engine is totally stock so that's where I stopped and came on here for advice.

Also are there any parameters in particular that can be changed to increase HP?

It really depends on the vehicle and how optimized the stock tune is - I am not familiar with your application, so I could not say what can be gained through tuning alone. Most of the stock tunes are pretty well optimized for fuel mileage and power. To find out if there are gains to be had, you pretty much have to put it on a dyno and see how it responds to fuel and timing changes - there is really no other way to determine if the changes are making a posative or negative impact on torque/power... I've tuned some smaller stock trucks and picked up power, but it required going to Premium fuel...

Tuning realy comes into play when you make engine modifications. Again, I'm not sure what is even available for your particular application as far as mods go...

If you want to post up both tunes, we can take a look at them. Are you trying to increase power for towing/hauling with it?
    Last edited by BLK02WS6; July 24th, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

I have attached both the ECM and the TCM tunes.

Like I said the engine is totally stock, and yes I would like to gain some more power for both towing and hauling.

2008 Chevy C4500 ECM.tun
    2008 Chevy C4500 TCM.tun

You might like to read post #1 of this thread: A-New-Twist-on-CALC-VE-Table-Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table

it is simpler than AutoVE (but requires discipline in keeping units straight).