Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you modify a dsp # if you purchase a tune from rob?

Junior Member bierworthmotorsports's Avatar

Default can you modify a dsp # if you purchase a tune from rob?

Looking to buy flashscan from a reputable seller, but i dont want to run all his tunes all the time. im looking to run a few of my own tunes for sled pulling etc.. If you purchase tunes for a dsp can you save and remove a few of the dsp positions and write your own, leaving one or two pre tuned ones.. or do you have to retune them all with stock and start over?
    vehicle is a 06, with a current efi tune, from unknown tuner, purchased the truck that way.

To my knowledge most of the professional tuner these days, myself included are permission restricting tune files, which means you can change the DSP5 tunes at will but cannot view or modify them.

So to answer your question, Yes you can tune your 2006 Dmax yourself or get tune files from other tuners, but probably not use some from the tuner combined with your own.

Good Luck
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Thanks, do most tuners recalibrate the tcm for the added power, or do they just let the trans learn with adapt. shifting? I work for Ford as a technician, and this is a local guys truck he wants me to help him with.. He's hoping to get it to shift like a 6.4 with the spartan, as they shift really firm.

Thanks again,
    knowledge is horsepower.

Quote Originally Posted by bierworthmotorsports View Post
    Thanks, do most tuners recalibrate the tcm for the added power, or do they just let the trans learn with adapt. shifting? I work for Ford as a technician, and this is a local guys truck he wants me to help him with.. He's hoping to get it to shift like a 6.4 with the spartan, as they shift really firm.

Thanks again,
    The ALLISON shouldn't ever shift REALLY firm if you want it to live, but the only way to really firm them up is to install a shift kit and build it. Even then though they still don't bang through the gears.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

And they live like that? I know about the transgo and transgo jr.. maybe that would be the route to go.
    knowledge is horsepower.

And they live like that? I know about the transgo and transgo jr.. maybe that would be the route to go.
    In aclutch to clutch trans like teh ALLISON with no over run clutches, they will grenade if they shift firm. For an ALLISON to live a long life, it needs to have a nice smooth shift that allows it to engage the next clutch pack while releasing teh last one in a fashion that allows it to NOT be in 2 gears at once. Being in 2 gears at once is known as a tie-up, and is what makes them shift harsh. When a tie-up occurs, the trans is locked in 2 gears at once and puts all of teh stress and inertia through the actual shafts, planetarys, and such leaving you with a BIG bill to foot. I have a built trans in mine, and it shifts as soft as a stock 6 speed with a transgo jr in it does.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Makes sence now.. i've heard the allison was different then most transmissions, but didn't know why. This truck actually had a code for 2 gears being engaged at once, which is why i was concerned. Is that normally a sign of worn clutches or someone's tune, or too much hp. What should be done to prevent this. This is kind of off topic, but oh well.
    knowledge is horsepower.

Makes sence now.. i've heard the allison was different then most transmissions, but didn't know why. This truck actually had a code for 2 gears being engaged at once, which is why i was concerned. Is that normally a sign of worn clutches or someone's tune, or too much hp. What should be done to prevent this. This is kind of off topic, but oh well.
    Without knowing what the code is, it is tough to say what the problem could be. Tuning is the key though to make an ALLISON live. With bad tuning a 6 speed can be tore up at just over stock HP, but with good tuning they can lead an ok life at 500RWHP.

By the term tuning, are you refering to engine tuning or transmission tuning. I'm pretty sure the current engine tune is a tranny burner.. it comes into power way too soon and stays locked in too high of gear lugging at lower rpms. Pulls hard that way but im sure it cant be good for the trans. The code was a p0777 accompanied with p0700 code i believe. Don't quote me on that, i see alot of codes daily lol.
    knowledge is horsepower.

Engine tuning. Excellent info Ferm.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast