Thread: Timing Table Calculator

Lifetime Member

Default Timing Table Calculator

Would someone check this out and make sure I'm not doing something stupid. My timing table looks realistic, and the numbers appear to be safe. From the best I can tell it works, but I was wondering if someone could bump it against their own calculator to make sure. You will have to change the file extension to .xlsm, otherwise the forum wouldn't let me upload it. If any one wants to feel free to use it. You can change the data ranges to whatever you need them to be, only if you change the size you will need to update the code if the table needs to be larger. Its specifically for the LBZ-LMM right now.

just copy your fuel pressure into the top table and the injection pulse into the second table, set your percentage next to "split" (the gray square auto-calculates) and click time it. Then copy the bottom table.

Timing_Book.txt

Thanks in advance
    JT
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

i like it. very clean.

personally i like the function where you can put % in each cell. i dont use the same % across the board.
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires

there seems to be a differences between the timing calc V3 and yours. entered the same fuel pressure and injection pulse in each one, and 50% timing and these are the results.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timing Calc V3.JPG 
Views:	1588 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	13816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timing Book.JPG 
Views:	1106 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	13817

also, what happened to the bottom right cell of your timing book?
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by LB72004 View Post
    there seems to be a differences between the timing calc V3 and yours. entered the same fuel pressure and injection pulse in each one, and 50% timing and these are the results.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timing Calc V3.JPG 
Views:	1588 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	13816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timing Book.JPG 
Views:	1106 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	13817

also, what happened to the bottom right cell of your timing book?
    There are some diffs. I had since found joshH's timing book and did a direct comparison. I copied the row for 120mm3 instead of modifying my algorithm to not error out due to being at the edge of the table. The 4800 rpm I copied with one degree less timing as I had no intention of spinning the motor that high. I should fix the bottom right cell, It doesn't fill in due to the combination of the above issues.

I'll look into adding a table for percentage split at each location. I like that idea. I was mainly looking for are my values close enough to merit spending any more time on improvements or do I need to calculate the values differently

Thanks for checking it out and the feedback. I'm getting a new computer this week and once I get everything setup I'll work on fixing those issues.
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....

i think your book merits further development. it is very clean and uncluttered. makes it hard for someone to mess up the formulas by typing in the wrong area.

if yours had the ability to calculate each cell's % separately that would be nice.

no disrespect to JoshH, as he is the pioneer in this that made it all happen, but i would use yours over his if it had these options:

-ability to calculate for the LB7, LLY/LBZ and the LMM
    -overall percent or each cell percent calculations
    -pilot timing calculator
    -Cold engine timing compensation (B0915)
    -20%, 30%, 60%, 100%, etc over injectors calculation

now that would be a nice calculator

anyways, keep up the good work. its is community help, innovation and drive that makes us better tuners then GM

Lifetime Member

Thanks. I'll keep working on it then.

I'll keep posting updates here
    14 GMC Sierra
    5.3L CC SB 4x4
    Basic tuning....