Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual trans smoke issue

Default Manual trans smoke issue

Im just trying to see if this is normal or if i need to do adjusting and were. I have my tune dialed in pretty mich right were i want it. Good smooth power some but not too much smoke. But i have the 6 speed trans in an 06. And every shift i make it lets out a little puff of smoke When clutch is released and back on the throttle. And if im lower in the rpm range and stand on it i could kill small forest creatures with the cloud i let out then its clear. I am running stock injectors and my rail pressure is mainly around stock pressures just moved around a bit indifferent areas. Im also running a silver bullet 62 turbo.Is this just something i have to live with since im loading the engine all the time and loosing all boost built up between shifts? I have pulled all the duration i can without sacraficing any power and i have adjusted up my boost fueling table and still seemto get just as mich smoke. Any insight on were i should focus on or is this just a manual trans thing. Thanks guys

It can be done. I would suggest spending some more time on the boost limited fueling table. Remember that the table includes atmospheric pressure so you don't come up on any boost until the 20psi range.

Anarchy Diesel Tuning/ Advanced Injection Diesel Technologies
    EFI Live Cummins Beta Tester
    Duramax and Cummins Tuning
    423-506-7427

Yes ^^^^ that table can make or break a smoke issue on a tune....
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Sounds good ill give that a shot. Should i put some duration back in and focus on that table for the smoke? I just kept pulling duration in the areas of my log were shifts occured. And now that i think of it its a little laggy for a split secong after a shift. Ill see about puting some back in and see what happens. Thanks for the advise guys. 07 5.9.... You the famous les? Lol

If the truck runs good everywhere else with the added duration then yes, put it back in. There are times that the truck may use those duration cells when there is boost to go with it so then the fuel can be used. The boost limiter is what will eliminate the smoke. I can make a tune that smokes like a freight train down low and clean it up without much more than adjustments to the boost limiter.

423-506-7427

Quote Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
    Sounds good ill give that a shot. Should i put some duration back in and focus on that table for the smoke? I just kept pulling duration in the areas of my log were shifts occured. And now that i think of it its a little laggy for a split secong after a shift. Ill see about puting some back in and see what happens. Thanks for the advise guys. 07 5.9.... You the famous les? Lol
    Id put the fuel back in as described above...and Id focus on that limiter table.

Remember you CAN rescale it to suit your needs...as it is a BOOST table.

Famous...no. Les..yes
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

Ive been messing with it and i seem to have the shift smoke pretty much smoke free but 5th and 6th at 2k rpms gag it ad shell let go a cloud that is actualy like a hurricane of haze. Its not black but grey. But its alot. Also my egts are running into the 1400 range. Should i use the boost tabe to try and keep them under control
    Up top also? I am at around 25 degrees timing at full mm3 and 3200 rpm so i really dont want to add anymore timing. Should i go back and pull some duration again? I would like to be under 1300 degrees matted and not have to live watching my gauge. Or you guys think 1400 is ok. I really appreciate your help. It just seems when i fix something another thing goes the other way or another condition starts lol.

stock trucks will see 1400 regularly when loaded pulling a hill. How big of a tune are you trying to build? I limit my tuning to 28-30 degrees max timing but that is on a very large tune.

423-506-7427

Ive built a modest street tune. Still on stock fuel system ect. I do run a phat shaft 62 turbo. Surprised my egts are even n issue but stock i would not be concerned. But with added timing most that heat im reading is on the pistons not just hot air. My egts are controlable till im heavy in it in the upper rpm range. It hits 1400 n will continue to climb if i stay in it.

I wouldn't be too concerned with 1400, unless you tow regularly. Pretty much any 6.7 with a stock turbo and modified tune will touch 18-1900 floored through the gears. Used to see some duramaxes hitting 2000+, it's all about how long it is at that temperature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast