Thread: need help with MAF tube question

Default need help with MAF tube question

I've just about completed my turbo project but need alittle help with the maf. I previously had a turboed sbc in the car with a forward facing throttle body in just about the same spot as the current one, so its allready set up with 3 inch tubing. I have an 09 Avalanch maf and was thinking about taking the insert out of it and putting it in the 3 inch intercooler tube to avoid reducer coulping before and after or switching to 4 inch pipe. The maf has an ID of 86mm and the tube 72mm for a surface area difference of 20%. Would I just reduce the frequency grams per sec by 20% or should I just put the maf before the turbo and deal with the blow off, which in my case isn't very frequent?

Quote Originally Posted by wwaveforms View Post
    I've just about completed my turbo project but need alittle help with the maf. I previously had a turboed sbc in the car with a forward facing throttle body in just about the same spot as the current one, so its allready set up with 3 inch tubing. I have an 09 Avalanch maf and was thinking about taking the insert out of it and putting it in the 3 inch intercooler tube to avoid reducer coulping before and after or switching to 4 inch pipe. The maf has an ID of 86mm and the tube 72mm for a surface area difference of 20%. Would I just reduce the frequency grams per sec by 20% or should I just put the maf before the turbo and deal with the blow off, which in my case isn't very frequent?
    Cross sectional area (A) is given by A = pir^2 = pi(D/2)^2
    where D is the MAF housing diameter in mm. (e.g. 86mm, 72mm, etc.)
    Your area difference is 30%, not 20%. I would install it before the turbo (suck through your MAF, don't blow through it). Make sure to have a straight section ~4" before the MAF with no transitions to minimize turbulence.