Thread: Which base tunes for a custom installation?

Default Which base tunes for a custom installation?

I have searched through the treads here and spent a huge amount of time in reading and trying to absorb as much of the information here as I can. If I have missed answers to these questions, please point me in the right direction. Thanks to all that have posted their experiences, guides and advice.

I have an installation of a '07 Cadillac escalade E38 VVT L92 engine that has had a cam (Competition Cams grind 267PHR14 with phaser limiter and springs installed), minor head port and polish cleanup (including multi angle high end valve job) & ceramic coated heads, compression bump (1/2 point to match LS3 level), electric water pump, Camaro oil pan and LS3 intake installed. The engine is running based on the stock tune with VATS and Emissions removed by the "other" tuner. So far it seems OK, slightly noticeable idle due to the cam, seems to run smoothly but have not driven it.

Transmission is an unmatched VIN (should have been matched but long story why that didn't work out). It is an '07 truck based T43 6L80E with GM updates and Raybestos Red clutches installed, stock rebuilt converter. Trans was fine on rebuild but was updated and upgraded (clutches) as it was opened up for an R&D project for the company I work for. My transmission ended up used in another vehicle due to some tuning issues (not my doing) with this one so a "clean" stock flashed in starting point, self-clean and fast learn would be desirable on the transmission.

These are installed in a 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK unlimited. I have a FlashScan V2 and a pair of wideband O2 sensors for tuning.

Ok, so my questions.

1 - What will be the best starting points for tuning? I am wondering if I should leave the Escalade tune I have in (6.2 must have VVT and no DOD), license that and Flash in a Corvette tune on the transmission? What year and tune would you all advise as a "base" to start from? Ultimately I would like to have tap shifting as an option. After reading what I can find here, it seems that the best procedure on the transmission is to do the bulk of the tuning on the E38 torque settings with only fine tuning in T43 itself.

2 - How is the "self-clean" as well as "fast learn" initiated on the transmission? I see self-clean in the options but am somehow missing the execution procedure.

3 - Is it possible or even desirable to start with a different year than the '07 in the ECM/TCM now? I'm trying to make the tuning process as unlimited and simple as possible. The only restrictions I should have on this is what would be compatible with the ECM/TCM that I have.

4 - I'd rather not end up licensing this thing multiple times to get where I need to be, hence the advance questions. None of the VINs have been licensed with EFILive yet. I'm just waiting to make sure I put the correct information into the ECM/TCM to begin with before starting the tuning procedure.

Some of this may answer itself as I get further along, just want to start in the right place.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dave
    Last edited by jpndave; September 3rd, 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Dave,

You are licensing the VIN not the tune. You'll license the E38 that you are using as well as the TCM for your trans. Tune away as many times as you like... No other charges unless you change controllers.

Did the ECM and TC come from the donor vehicle? If so I would start with that as all the parameters for the engine and transmission will be in that original tune.

Assume you are running the Chrysler PCM and integrating it into the system.

Hope this helps,

John

Licensing is per ECM and TCM pair (i.e. any ECM and any TCM).