Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruze 0 to 60 results

Default Cruze 0 to 60 results

It was time to do some 0 to 60 MPH benchmarks on our Cruze Auto. Whilst I'd love to get it to the track, it is the middle of winter here, so I don't even know if the street meets are running at the local drag strip.
    The car is currently running a 45% E85 mix, this has allowed about 5 more degrees of timing before it starts to show signs of knock at WOT (there is none at all otherwise), current tune is pushing it to about 19 PSI of boost from 4,400RPM up. On the scanner I've seen maximum torque of 204 lb-ft (277 Nm) and maximum of 190 HP (141 KW). Sadly, this is almost the same torque as the 2010+ 3.0L SIDI V6 GM has, 212 lb·ft (288 Nm) @ 5800 RPM.
    Stock, the 1.4L is rated at 148 lb·ft (200 Nm) and 138 HP (103 KW).

The log I did tonight was a bit of a disaster though, the engine hit the limiter just before the 2-3 shift (I've lowered it to 6200) which as a result dropped the boost down to 5 PSI, I also had the Commanded Power table set too low vs road speeds, the result was it only had 50% throttle from 4,400RPM up in 1st gear as the ECM was trying to limit engine power (as per the table), but still held 14 PSI of boost, so it wasn't too bad.
    Anyway, the result was, the car did a 0 to 60 MPH time of 7.2 seconds.
    With a few more small adjustments to the tune (not hitting the RPM limiter) I am sure the Cruze will easily get in to the high 6 second zone for a 0 to 60 MPH run.

Back to the 7.2 second run, it's no LSx I know, it never will be at 1.4L, but, how's this for some comparisons of some 0 to 60 MPH times (found on the internet):

For the Aussies, 1993 HSV 185i = 7.8 seconds
    For the Americans, 1996 Impala SS (LT1) = 7.2 seconds

Those two cars, we used to admire them for their performance, just trying to put it in perspective

Edit Post 29th June:
    Running a new tune that doesn't hit the limiter in 2nd gear (dropped the shift speed for 2-3) it got the car 'just' under the 7 second mark. 0 - 60 MPH in 6.9 seconds (see bottom right corner of the pic below). This is still with everything stock, stock intake manifold, stock air box and filter, no hardware mods at all (well,except the E85 conversion). Also, not really loading the car up to build boost off the line, just hitting the loud pedal and away we go.

Last edited by GMPX; June 28th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

That's pretty impressive for the little 1.4t, with an auto & not being the lightest car.

Perfect forced induction weather at the moment here in not so sunny Melbourne be good to do some vmax testing although it's far from acceptable these days.....

Yes the weather is good for engines, 102 kPa baro and 5°C ambient.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thumbs up

Those are great results, the published 0-60 times for the Cruze are about 2 seconds slower than that. Also, one of the tuners advertises around 6.8 seconds with around a 180 hp tune. Great job, and glad you got the boost up!
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Did you do any similar testing with e0/e10 fuel? I'm curious how much role the octane is playing in the power improvements here.
    ~Greg
    Calibrated Success - EFI Training and Tuning Done Right
    GM Beginner's Guide DVD available now through Summit!
    Engine Management: Advanced Tuning - Amazon's best deal for the EFI crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    Did you do any similar testing with e0/e10 fuel? I'm curious how much role the octane is playing in the power improvements here.
    +1 good point.

No sorry Greg I didn't, but I will revisit that down the track. The first thing on the cards was the E85 conversion, the 0 - 60 times were done just because the opportunity was there
    Based on what others tell me, Holden advertise this engine as being able to run on 91 Octane, but, if you log one running 91 they are on almost constant knock retard, even when the octane scaler is biased to the Low Octane table. On 98 Premium they still knock a bit down low, but under reasonable boost they can't tolerate more than a few degrees of timing, usually people aim for just 2 to 3 degrees total. I am assuming because this is a new generation of ECM that the knock processing is even better than the E38's etc?
    I'm currently at about 9 degrees final timing under boost at 19 PSI with no knock, if I increase that up to 11 it will occasionally get a few degrees retard, so once I run the tank down further I'll continue to increase the E85 percentage. And I appreciate the aim isn't to be seeing how much timing can be thrown at this thing, but surely just a few degrees of timing (even under boost) seems pretty darn low.
    As far as the max power improvement on E85, there's probably not going to be a lot in it on the standard engine, as it is on premium unleaded it's possible to max out the turbo's ability to pump more air in. The Cruze that ran the 15.2 was just running premium.

Your "91 octane" != our "91 octane". You are using RON, correct? We typically advertise (R+M)/2 for pump grades here, so your "98 octane" is closer to ~92 here.

On a completely stock engine (and exhaust), I would expect that GM knows exactly where the knock limit is for a given fuel quality and have no real reason to try and outsmart that unless we start changing engine hardware. The high octane map is probably calibrated based on premium pump fuel (100 RON, 92 here), so running midgrade or worse should rightfully excite the knock sensors and drive a change in knock learn factor. High percentages of ethanol (at ~112 octane) quickly get you up above the knock threshold in most cases and allow you to just run MBT timing under full load.

My main question really revolves around how much power you think there is simply by increasing boost/airflow. I'm curious about how much boost can be generated from the stock turbocharger and what power/torque levels (on pump fuel) that correlates to at various pressure ratios. I understand that final timing will be small numbers here.
    ~Greg

I found a comparison on-line between the US and European Octane ratings (which we use), it's like so:

USA –> Europe
    87 –> 91
    89 –> 93
    91 –> 95
    93 –> 98

The High/Low spark maps between the USA Cruze and the local Cruze are the same, so it would appear Holden spent zero time tweaking the engine to run on our USA equivalent of 87 Octane Fuel (which they say is ok in the sales brochure).

I've seen on my logs that boost levels taper off above about 5,200 RPM (from 19PSI to 17PSI by 5,800) with no change in the wastegate duty cycle, so I suppose the turbo is doing the best it can at that point. I believe people are getting up to 21 PSI from a stock turbo but I don't know how far in to the RPM range it can sustain that.
    With the tuning changes the maximum airflow I've seen is 0.81 g/cyl @ 4,500 RPM. Interestingly GM calibrated the airflow axis for the spark tables to finish at 0.75 g/cyl, not the usual 1.36 g/cyl we see.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    The High/Low spark maps between the USA Cruze and the local Cruze are the same, so it would appear Holden spent zero time tweaking the engine to run on our USA equivalent of 87 Octane Fuel (which they say is ok in the sales brochure).
    So it would appear they took the easy/lazy route of just letting the knock learn factor correct for the change in fuel spec. It will certainly work, it's just not necessarily "optimal". The upside is that simply putting in 98RON will give you free power without a reflash locally. If they had remapped the high octane spark table for 91RON, you would not get all the benefit from adding premium fuel without a reflash.

I've seen on my logs that boost levels taper off above about 5,200 RPM (from 19PSI to 17PSI by 5,800) with no change in the wastegate duty cycle, so I suppose the turbo is doing the best it can at that point. I believe people are getting up to 21 PSI from a stock turbo but I don't know how far in to the RPM range it can sustain that.
    This is likely the line of constant turbocharger shaft speed. The turbo manufacturer will recommend a max speed limit for their wheel (under warranty) and this results in limited boost at high engine speed even with a constant wastegate DC. Cranking the wastegate duty cycle up at high engine speed should allow for constant (or even increasing) boost at higher RPM, at the expense of higher turbo speeds and potentially reduced life. The "good" solution here is usually to just put a slightly bigger turbo on there.
    ~Greg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast