Thread: Running 24X System with a 700R4 Transmission

Default Running 24X System with a 700R4 Transmission

Just finishing up a 24X conversion on my 89 Camaro and I still have the 700R4 transmission in the car. I still have the TV cable hooked up to the 700R4, so I know it will shift, I just don't have the torque convertor lock up capability anymore which is ok for now. The wiring harness has the connector for the 4L60E transmission which I will install later on. I have installed a tune file into the ECM for a 2002 Camaro with an automatic transmission. My question is what programming changes will I have to make to run with the 700R4 when the program is expecting a 4L60E. I'm thinking that the car will run, but that I'll be setting lots of codes.

Are you using the 40 tooth reluctor and speed sensor for the VSS input? This is recommended and if so, I would use the 2002 Camaro file with the manual transmission. Just change the Speedometer > Parameters table data to reflect your tire/gear and 40 tooth instead of the 17 tooth manual reluctor. (H0102)
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

For TCC lockup, you will have to wire pressure switches for 3r/4th gears (your 700R4 valve body might already have these switches)...

basically, if the pressure switch closes, the TCC locks;

the 3rd gear switch is wired in parallel with the 4th gear switch, so you will get TCC lock in 3rd or 4th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl View Post
    Are you using the 40 tooth reluctor and speed sensor for the VSS input? This is recommended and if so, I would use the 2002 Camaro file with the manual transmission. Just change the Speedometer > Parameters table data to reflect your tire/gear and 40 tooth instead of the 17 tooth manual reluctor. (H0102)
    Al
    Thanks ChipsByAl,
    My camaro uses a spedometer cable from the tranny to the dash mounted spedometer. On the back of the spedometer is the VSS module. This VSS module is not recommended for use by EFI connection, so, I am using a module recommended by EFI Connection that connects to the tranny on one side of the module and the other side of the module connects to the spedometer cable. The signal from this module connects to the VSS input on the 2002 ECM. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Crisses; September 14th, 2012 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    For TCC lockup, you will have to wire pressure switches for 3r/4th gears (your 700R4 valve body might already have these switches)...

basically, if the pressure switch closes, the TCC locks;

the 3rd gear switch is wired in parallel with the 4th gear switch, so you will get TCC lock in 3rd or 4th gear.
    Thanks joecar,
    This is handy information and I may end up doing this. However, I do have a 4L60E and my plan is to eventually install this tranny and connect it to the 2002 ECM. This will give me the TCC lockup and the programmable shifting - win,win!!