Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: locked ecm

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    Frankly your tunes aint worth shit after 10 years guy. who freakin cares???
    Obviously you do.........or you mouth wouldn't be running in here.

You should research what goes on in the diesel world before you spout off sonny.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by crash85 View Post
    Iam tryin to get help here
    Take it to PM so S10 can get some sleep tonight........he's having issues it seems
    www.mscservices.net

S10- I think Tony has a pretty sharp reputation, and if you have a valid problem with his tuning.. I'm sure he could 100% address it and fix it. As far as just turn up the boost and not "burn it up"... This states your knowledge and its ridiculous.

I lock all my tunes as well... I have gotten burned a few times and its not that terribly fun. Stock trucks...big deal... but trucks with say 200% injectors, big singles, 2 stroker pumps, lowered compression and still running a allison cruising the streets with very little smoke with all the manners of a stock truck... Ummm yeah, there is a reason for locking tunes.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    S10- I think Tony has a pretty sharp reputation, and if you have a valid problem with his tuning.. I'm sure he could 100% address it and fix it. As far as just turn up the boost and not "burn it up"... This states your knowledge and its ridiculous.

I lock all my tunes as well... I have gotten burned a few times and its not that terribly fun. Stock trucks...big deal... but trucks with say 200% injectors, big singles, 2 stroker pumps, lowered compression and still running a allison cruising the streets with very little smoke with all the manners of a stock truck... Ummm yeah, there is a reason for locking tunes.

I still think someone came up with the stealing tunes excuse and now everyone is following suit about locking tunes! So your telling me someone is going to spend $10,000 on mods, $899 on efi live and then try to steal a $400 tune? It doesnt ad up in my books. I dont care who does the tune there is no magic trick out there that only one person knows. Yes I have heard of a couple people trying to get a free tune or use someone elses but I doubt there are alot of people out there spending $899 so they can steal a tune. Why are all the customers in the diesel world potential thieves?

Every tuner does things a little different... If i dont ever have to worry about someone stealing my tunes by simply locking them,,, then why not? I have indeed had cases where i sell tuning to someone unlocked and they didnt know a thing about tuning... next thing you know they have 6 other trucks at their shop getting XXX tuning and ordering the vins from me...hmmm, pretty obvious right? Thats 1500 bucks i was f***ed out of.. In other words, thats another all inclusive trip for me and my lady to Porta Vellarta Mexico sitting in the sun sipping margaritas down the drain. I dont like folks stealing my potential vacations when i could of prevented them.

Also, i have sent guys tunes and they get to modifying them..messing stuff up, and then wanting support on their mess ups costing me time that i didnt generate. Just my .02 to why i prefer to keep it locked.
    Last edited by Dmaxink; September 11th, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
    -Kory

Thanks Kory........the gasser guys can't understand what goes on.............kind of reminds me of NAPSTER.........nobody would ever share a movie or song file, everyone is as honest as Abe Lincoln.
    www.mscservices.net

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I still think someone came up with the stealing tunes excuse and now everyone is following suit about locking tunes! So your telling me someone is going to spend $10,000 on mods, $899 on efi live and then try to steal a $400 tune? It doesnt ad up in my books. I dont care who does the tune there is no magic trick out there that only one person knows. Yes I have heard of a couple people trying to get a free tune or use someone elses but I doubt there are alot of people out there spending $899 so they can steal a tune. Why are all the customers in the diesel world potential thieves?
    Its not the monetary value of the tune they stole, it's the loss of revenue when they sell "MY TUNE" to other people and I don't get compensated for spending the time writing it.

Let me explain it to you this way, if you developed a product, say a app for an I-Phone, and you sell it for $1.00, nobody is going to cry about spending a dollar or even losing a dollar, but what if the app gets sold a million times by that person who bought your app for $1.00, you just lost $1 million........see how it all works now.

It's not the one tune, its all the tunes that you do not sell because some clown is re-selling your hard work and now they are taking credit for being a good tuner and you are getting nothing for it.

Ask yourself why does EFI-Live charge for ecm licensing and give the software away free ????? Think about that one and get back to me.

Also the diesel market is probably three times what the gasser market is.
    www.mscservices.net

I guess we will never agree on this. I tune gas and diesel's I just dont only tune gas. It just seems really odd from a tuners point of view so many diesel tuners are worried about all these people stealing tunes so they have to lock them. In the gas world 99% of the people are locking there tunes so people cant see how little they actually changed. Locked tunes throw all kinds of red flags to me. If someone is selling some one else's tunes they wont last long IMO. How will they handle when something is different? What about someone asking a question about tuning? Fakes and frauds usually dig there self into a hole pretty quick. With everyone locking tunes to protect there work you are making it easier to hide what your doing. How do I know you didnt buy a "unlocked" tune and are selling it as your own and locking the pcm? My personal opinion is that is what is happening in the diesel world with so many tuners popping up all the time. Im not singling anyone out or pointing fingers, just stated my opinion in general. Its not directed to anyone in particular.

I guess we will never agree on this. I tune gas and diesel's I just dont only tune gas. It just seems really odd from a tuners point of view so many diesel tuners are worried about all these people stealing tunes so they have to lock them. In the gas world 99% of the people are locking there tunes so people cant see how little they actually changed. Locked tunes throw all kinds of red flags to me. If someone is selling some one else's tunes they wont last long IMO. How will they handle when something is different? What about someone asking a question about tuning? Fakes and frauds usually dig there self into a hole pretty quick. With everyone locking tunes to protect there work you are making it easier to hide what your doing. How do I know you didnt buy a "unlocked" tune and are selling it as your own and locking the pcm? My personal opinion is that is what is happening in the diesel world with so many tuners popping up all the time. Im not singling anyone out or pointing fingers, just stated my opinion in general. Its not directed to anyone in particular.
    I do alot of tunes for people in my spare time as i enjoy it, but even I don't freely give out my GOOD tunes that I spend alot of time on. Theer are quite a few tuners out there even today who got there start by going to the forums and downloading others work and selling it as there own. I've had the chance to look at quite a few of the big name tuners unlocked work, and alot of it is scary simliar and really simliar to some of teh boxed tuners out there. I can totaly understand why somebody would lock a tune for a diesel when many times a good tune can rack up 40 hours between building teh base file, modifying the starting file, and then tweaking it on the truck. And alot of tunes can take longer than that. There are so many fly by nights in the diesel world, it is hard to keep people honest.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

I can see where you are coming from, but in our case... it isnt because we dont know what we are doing... maybe if Joe blow is locking his tuning... but i think we at least have a reputation worth locking.
    -Kory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast