Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5 to 6 speed conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped383 View Post
    So what about using the TCM killerbee is selling? Its a modified stock TCM like the suncoast kit. I know someone mentioned the suncoast TCM has to use a modified valve body and not just a 6 speed valve body because the solenoids where different
    Don't know. I haven't heard much about it so I can't comment either way. It may be better than Suncoasts or it may not. It probably does employ a modified VB as several solenoids are different between the 5-speed and 6-speed TCM & VB - which is why my truck never shifted quite right with the 6-speed VB being run by the 5-speed TCM.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I have a 2003 duramax dually and will need a trans in the next year. Is it worth the money to upgrade to the 6 speed?
    That's a personal call. I wanted to ditch the FICM, get tap-shift, the enhanced winter idle, etc, so for me, I felt it was worth it. Overall, I'm very happy with my 2004 LBZ 6-speed . PERSONALLY, I don't feel it's worth doing unless you go all the way and convert to all LBZ stuff. If you look in the right places, you may be able to do the entire LBZ conversion for not much more than the cost of the 6-speed conversion kits, especially if you sell the old parts. YMMV.
    Last edited by Cougar281; April 5th, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

Default allison 5 speed to 6 conversion ?? 2006 Topkick 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    If you have a 01-05 DURAMAX truck with a 5 speed and want to make it a 6 speed, you are pretty well limited to the SUNCOAST kit. The 6 speed valve body will not just drop into a 5 speed and then have a 6 speed OS flashed in(tried this). You have to use the 5 speed style solonoids which means you have to run the kit. And if it is a 01-05 truck, there is no factory or ALLISON flash to enable 6th gear. If you have an 06-07 MD with a 5 speed, then yes it can be flashed to a 6 speed by ALLISON, or if you have a 8.1L you can swap in an 06 TCM, 6 speed valve body, modify the wiring harness, and have a 6 speed.

I have been considering purchase of a 2006 Topkick 4500 4x4 engine decodes as an LLY and guy says trans is a 5 speed you mentioned that 2006 MD can be flashed to enable use as a 6 speed who do I need to contact or what needs to be done to have this update done when or fi the get the truck

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead540 View Post
    I have been considering purchase of a 2006 Topkick 4500 4x4 engine decodes as an LLY and guy says trans is a 5 speed you mentioned that 2006 MD can be flashed to enable use as a 6 speed who do I need to contact or what needs to be done to have this update done when or fi the get the truck
    For 06 and 07 MD trucks, it is not practical to simply reprogram your TCM, but we have a service that exchanges your 5-speed TCM for the 6-speed coded TCM you are needing. It is a straight forward swap process.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

sent you an email for 6 spd TCM on my lly.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    For 06 and 07 MD trucks, it is not practical to simply reprogram your TCM, but we have a service that exchanges your 5-speed TCM for the 6-speed coded TCM you are needing. It is a straight forward swap process.
    Hey, killer bee, do you still offer this service? I need an al5 tcm with unlocked 6 speed calibration without core.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennydmaxguy View Post
    Hey, killer bee, do you still offer this service? I need an al5 tcm with unlocked 6 speed calibration without core.
    Yes, I have a few of these. You can use the email in my signature.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123