Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Segment Swap?

Default Trans Segment Swap?

I am still a novice at this so please speak slowly and use small words.

I am working with a 2001 Silverado 5.3L that is being swapped into a project. I want to tune it for a manual tranny (or non-electronic automatic, however you prefer to think of it). I am aware of the need to swap the transmission segment in the pcm from an auto to a manual but that's were my problem starts. For an LS1 this is easy, just go to tunefiledepot and grab the file. However there are no tunes listed for a manual transmission Silverado, period. The 6.0L was available with an nv4500 5 speed and the 4.8L could have had an nv3500 5 speed, but even they aren't listed there. As most of you probably know the 5.3L NEVER had a manual transmission behind it from the factory...ever (at least not in the North American market). So what do I do, what file should I try to rob the trans segment from? Or am I going to have to just go in and manually configure everything? I know there are many 5.3s out there in old vehicles that are tuned for non-electronic transmissions so I know it's possible, I'm just too dumb at the moment to figure it out. Please help.
    Last edited by LS-SWAPPER; September 13th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Nobody? Is there a better place for me to ask these questions?

Like you observed, it is going to be impossible to find a truck manual trans segment with the same matching OS id as your require.

Manually configuring/edit the trans segment is not sufficient as the the segment contains "invisible" stuff that we can't edit.

You might want to start with a 2001/2002 Camaro/Firebird manual trans file, and copy your tables into it...

(but if you have DBW then the field has narrowed down to practically zero again).

Thanks joecar. This engine is dbc so I am safe there. This is a 2001 with the 12208322 OS, so you are saying I should start with the 12202088 OS from tunefiledepot and modify it from there? When you say "copy your tables into it", are you saying I will have to change EVERY table or just the Main VE and a few others? I have never done anything that involved, time to do some more research. Again sorry for the dumb questions, and thank you for the response.

Try the 2002 Camaro manual trans 12212156 file.

You need to copy all the tables in your current tune file that make your engine run how it runs now.

Ok, but to satisfy my need to learn, why??? What makes you choose that file over the one I mentioned from the 2001 camaro?

It being later (2002) than the other (2001) I'm assuming it will have some fixes introduced by GM... just my opinion.

If you like 12202088 then use that one.

Ahh, that makes sense. Just trying to understand the logic, I'll give 12212156 a try. THANKS AGAIN!

Laying in bed last night I had another though. Tunefiledepot doesn't have a 6.0 or 4.8 file for a manual tranny, but I have a complete untouched 6.0 from a 2000 truck in my shop that originally had a manual. Which would be the better choice, start with the manual camaro file like was mentioned earlier or start with the manual 6.0 tune that I have access to? Once again, just trying to learn the logic behind some of this. Thanks.

Either way is good as long as the OS id match across tune files.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast